Toyota LV 75W substitutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
First post here.
smile.gif

I have a 2011 Scion tC with 6sp manual transmission, I need to change the transmission fluid on this car.

Toyota manual requires Toyota LV 75W GL4 transmission oil. (There is no number after the 75W, so it is single grade), toyota dealers in my city don't have this oil in stock. And I have googled quite a bit, and found the following information:

RedLine MT-LV 70W/75W GL4 Gear Oil (local stores don't have it), Vis@100C cSt is 6.5, Vis@40C cSt is 30.6, Viscosity Index is 175 (it is recommended for Toyota LV 75W GL4, except I cannot get it locally)
RedLine MTL 75W80 GL4 Gear Oil (a local store does have it), Vis@100C cSt is 10.4, Vis@40C cSt is 50.8, Viscosity Index is 201
Redline D6 ATF, Vis@100C cSt is 6.4, Vis@40C cSt is 30.7, Viscosity Index is 166.

As you can see, viscosity for RedLine MT-LV seems to be the same as those of D6 ATF. And D6 ATF is a substitute for Toyota WS ATF.

My question is, can Toyota WS ATF be used in my 6sp manual transmission? Viscosity range seems fine, but maybe WS does not have the additives needed for a manual transmission?

I guess if WS won't work, MTL will work, except maybe during the coldest days?

Thanks!

I've used Ravenol 75W in my Tundra, which requires a similar specification for the transfer case.

Ravenol J1C1003 SAE 75W Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-3 Full Synthetic is what the label says. I bought it from Amazon, which isn't selling individual quarts at the moment, but that's what I would recommend. It's exactly what you're looking for...

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-3-sae-75w.html

Last edited:
Toyota is very specific, when it says the vehicle requires any this or that viscosity with GL-x - it's fine to use any other lubricant with the parameters given. When it says Toyota branded lubricant, you better bring cash and do it. It's not only the viscosity, it's the whole chemical bouquet that makes a difference. Different chemistry, not just funny viscosity.

Ravenol has been caught fudging the numbers and was involved in litigious activity in some other jurisdictions in past. There is a lot of druling here over it just because it's a German brand, but in Germany it is an average product at best.

Added:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3866664/all/75W_transmission_oil

Last edited:
GL-4 fluid means there's little to no sulfur content to keep yellow metals in a manual gearbox happy as well as not being too "sticky" or "slick" to keep the synchroes happy. MolaKule will need to chime in.

There are some gearboxes that called for regular Dex-III ATF like the Mazda units used in many older Ford trucks and Red Line marketed their ATFs for use in certain gearboxes. Looks like D6 should work. Try it out but keep your ears open for any whine or chatter and your hands for notchy shifting.

https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf

I have used Pennzoil Synchromesh GL-4 in my '05 xB since around 40K miles (it's at 96K now), it's always worked fine. Unlike the RP Max Gear 75W90 (GL-5, supposed to be OK for GL-4), practically had to double clutch it like a semi to drive it with RP in it!

Originally Posted by Y_K
Ravenol has been caught fudging the numbers and was involved in litigious activity in some other jurisdictions in past. There is a lot of druling here over it just because it's a German brand, but in Germany it is an average product at best.

Still waiting to see your proof of claim....

My Yaris wants 75W GL4.....I will substitute it with Tranself NFJ 75w80.....it is only 6cst vs 7.5cst @100C difference

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Y_K

Still waiting to see your proof of claim....

Learn a few other languages along the way...

RedLine MT-LV 70W/75W GL4 Gear Oil (local stores don't have it), Vis@100C cSt is 6.5, Vis@40C cSt is 30.6, Viscosity Index is 175 (it is recommended for Toyota LV 75W GL4, except I cannot get it locally)

would be my suggestion and you only need a few quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back