Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5W-30, 5k OCI, 20k total

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the analysis of my first OCI with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as a part of the SOPUS promotion.

I don't like that the copper went up 50%. Other than that everything is in good order. The air cleaner is still the un-touched original. The oil filter was a Nissan part as with the previous OCI so those 2 variables were controlled. The 5W-30 is shearing a bit. As I have Mobil 1 0W-40 left over from BMW ownership I'm going to run that for 7500 miles after the current Pennzoil Platinum is run for the normal 5k OCI. The next OCI will carry me to the end of the warranty which required 5k OCIs. You'll probably not see any more UOAs for this vehicle from me.

Code:

OIL H5w30 PUP5W30

MILES IN USE 4.9k 5068

MILES 15.1k 20083

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/02/15 3/28/16

ALUMINUM 3 2

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 19 14

COPPER 37 56

LEAD 0 0

TIN 2 2

MOLYBDENUM 192 75

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 4 2

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 36 69

SILICON 16 15

SODIUM 57 11

CALCIUM 1634 2219

MAGNESIUM 35 27

PHOSPHORUS 546 708

ZINC 677 799

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Vis @ 210°F 55.3 57.3

cSt Vis @ 100°C 8.86 9.44

Flashpoint °F 385 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.1

Blackstone's comments:

Josh: Copper read a little high in this sample compared to averages, but we're guessing this may just be lingering wear-in at this point and we do expect you'll see improvements from here. Other metals are already withing the average range, but because new engines produce a lot of copper (from brass/bronze wear) it can take quite a while to get copper down to the average level, and that's fine. Averages show typical wear levels for this engine type after about 5,600 miles on the oil. No fuel dilution, water or other contamination was found. Try 7,000 miles.

Was the previous oil change with Havoline? I'm surprised the Calcium level is so low and there is no corresponding magnesium or sodium to make up the difference. Must be a very low SAPS/low detergent type of oil.

H5w30 is Havoline to which I'd added a little MSO2. Here is the thread with my previous UOA and my comments:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4024151/Havoline_5W-30_SN,_4.9k_mi,_12#Post4024151

I don't think either oil had low calcium. And the Havoline with lower calcium does have a little more magnesium.

The magnesium at 35 ppm is just a trace amount. Any of the manufacturers using substantial mg to replace ca use in the 700-1500 ppm range. And those that use sodium run around 450-500 ppm. So there is something not quite right in that earlier sample.

Fwiw, I checked Havoline add packs at PQUIA and they typically run in the 2200-2600 ppm range for calcium...the same range for other Sopus products like PP/PYB/QS/FS. So at 1634 ppm calcium that doesn't fit the normal Ca range for a low Mg/Na oil. Could the missing 30-40% have been scavenged by the MSO2 or some other chemical reaction. The sample looks like a weak Chevron. Maybe Havoline just messed it up. All the other guys using 1600 ppm Calcium supplement it with approx 475 ppm sodium.

The earlier thread you linked with a VOA for the Havoline had just over 2,000 ppm. So this one is a lot lighter in all the additives. Strange, especially if you did that OCI and know exactly what stuff was added. Looks to me like Havoline diluted that batch. PQIA has previously tested Havoline as high as 2525 ppm Calcium.

PQIA synthetics

PQIA conventionals

The copper is probably coming from the oil cooler which is normal. I believe these engines use aluminum bearings with no copper and I cant think of any other components that contain any significant amounts of copper.
This might interest you.

Copper Cooler

5w-20 VOA

This was linked in the earlier thread and is a fairly new VOA. It shows only 1917 ppm Ca. So it does appear Havoline has been reducing the detergent package since PQIA last tested a 5w-30 and came up with 2525 ppm. Add packs normally don't vary much at all between a 5w-20 to 5w-30. From what I've seen they should be nearly identical. If I can't explain the #'s in a VOA or UOA I'd rather stick with a brand that stays fairly consistent so I know what I'm getting.

Yes Havoline has lowered the calcium by a significant amount. Starting TBN dropped a point too during the change. During the recent Chevron/Havoline Q&A, I asked about what's going on with the new formulations. I guess we will know the answers soon when they reply here on the forum.

69GTX, Thanks for the feedback on how much magnesium should be present with reduced calcium. Chevron, aside from Delo, has probably lost me as a customer with the poor changes they've been making to Havoline.

Copper isn't in the main or big end rod bearings, but the connecting rod little end is bronze bushed.

After the free Pennzoil Platinum is gone I'll use up my Mobil 1 0W-40 and then it's Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 going forward as it fits both my Frontier and the wife's Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

Copper isn't in the main or big end rod bearings, but the connecting rod little end is bronze bushed.

If the increased copper was coming from bronze bushings wouldn't the tin also increase?

I'm thinking the oil cooler is the source of the copper. I would get another UOA at the end of this OCI.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

If the increased copper was coming from bronze bushings wouldn't the tin also increase?

I would expect so, but I don't know if the test is sophisticated enough to see tin when it's alloyed. I'll ask Blackstone.

I do believe that the change in oil chemistry is likely the cause of the copper spike. I'm not concerned enough to do more oil analysis on these 5k OCIs. I'm switching to Mobil 1 and might have a sample or two analyzed to validate 10k OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back