Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W-30, 7005 miles, 2019 Kia Sorento 3.3L

This SN+ oil was in service fifteen months. Oil filter: K&N HP-7035. The K&N air filter (part number 33-5075) was installed at 18,059 miles. The vehicle is operated in a hot and dusty environment (Phoenix, Arizona). With this oil sample I am trying to determine if my choice of PUP 10W-30 and K&N filters is adequate for a 7500 miles OCI. I doubt I will go with Blackstone's recommendation of 9000 miles on the next oil change interval because I want to maintain the warranty requirement. I am glad, however, to see such good wear and TBN numbers and will probably stick with this combination throughout the warranty period.

19 SORENTO-211009.jpg

Insolubles are low and so is the silicon. If this is a DI engine I’d change at 5-7k. If not 10k+ is doable. Maybe once a year??

I want to maintain the warranty requirement
Best thing to do. I have a KIA Niro, use PP and change it every 6k miles just to be on the safe side. Blackstone says try 9k, but KIA says 7500, so you're better off going with the latter. I can give you about 758 million reasons why you'll want to stick with OEM parts and KIA's warranty requirements.

Your warranty probably states 7500 miles OR one year. Going 15 months may have already blown the warranty you are trying to save!
I manage a garage, and Hyundai/Kia are big sticklers that if something does go wrong, they want proof of oil changes at prescribed intervals.

Yeah, I forgot about the calendar requirement. If my garage here in Phoenix wasn't so darned hot (I'm just your average homeowner) in the summer, I would have changed the oil before June at less than 6000 miles.
Thanks for the reminder of the warranty depending on an annual OCI. I'm a determined do-it-myself type, so I'll put a reminder in my calendar for May, 2022.

Any benefit noticed? Not really, although I rarely drive that vehicle and I haven't been monitoring the fuel economy. My wife is the primary driver and she doesn't care about fuel economy either.
I did drive it recently and may have noticed an increase in near full-throttle power but that is too subjective to claim.

I think the main reason I always equip my vehicles with K&N air filters is I prefer a reusable vs. a disposable filter. But I cannot claim to have noticed any real benefit, most likely because I haven't been looking for one.

The benefit of the 10w30 should result in good viscosity stability. I guess due to fuel dilution being more of a modern-day issue, the 10w30 grade has come back around to being a grade worth trying if you're after the lowest Noack and usually most stable viscosity control. Those are good numbers.

girlfriends 18 optima 2.4 says 6 mo. mileage depending on synthetic or not but around 6 thou, i use OE filter + QState ultimate durability 10-30 in Pa. bought preowned with 8 thou on it in 18, runs good uses no oil so all is good. warranty is shorter being bought preowned.

Here is the recommended engine oil viscosities page from the 2019 Sorento owner's manual for the USA.
1638055458214.jpg

For the 3.3 Liter engine a 30 weight is recommended for all temperature ranges. For my vehicle's operating environment, 0 to 50 °C, a 10W-30 is recommended.
Yes, I am trying for a low Noack volatility, shown on this TDS extract as a rather low 4.7%. I've been unable to find a TDS on the Ultra Platinum but I am hoping it is close to this spec.
1638057743811.jpg

Here is TDS table from May 2012, for Ultra Full Synthetic. Again, not Ultra Platinum but perhaps very similar.
1638061456203.jpg

I also like the numbers in the Blackstone test report. From now on I will follow a calendar-based OCI, rather than distance.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I enjoy sharing useful data and hearing other's opinions.

Reactions: FZ1
Back