Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, 8035 mi, 1997 Honda Civic LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the lastest report for my Honda Civic. Enjoy!
Code:
1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan

Oil: Pennzoil Ultra

Oil filter: Mobil1

Air filter- Purolator

Total miles on vehicle =235,507 miles

Miles on oil = 8,035 Miles

Make up oil= None

Aluminum 2

Chromium 0

Iron 8

Copper 11

Lead 9

Tin 0

Molybdenum 85

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Antimony 4

Lithium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 183

Barium 0

Silicon 7

Sodium 6

Calcium 2592

Magnesium 165

Phosphorous 752

Zinc 904

CSt Visc. @ 100C 12.1

Fuel (%)
Water (%)
TBN 4.29

Soot
Oxidation 19

Nitration 13

Any comments or thoughts? Thanks........

Last edited:
Looks nice to me. Some might wonder about the copper or lead (they're not that bad in my view), but without universal averages or knowing if you're having any symptoms in the first place, it's hard to say. There's certainly no shearing; if anything, it might be a tiny bit thick. No problems with fuel dilution, and plenty of TBN left. For something with that many miles, I would say you have absolutely nothing to complain about! Nice.

With 8K on the oil and over 235K on a 15 year old car, I wouldn't worry about either the copper or lead. The Ultra may have been cleaning out some residual metals in the sump...

Garak,
Your comment about the lead and copper made me remember that I had run a full tank of Amsoil PI just prior to taking this sample. I literally finished running the PI in the Honda, filled it up, and then took the oil sample. Does running fuel injector cleaner affect an oil analysis when done so close to taking a sample for analysis?

Last edited:
Some say that a good fuel injector cleaner might affect an oil analysis. I don't think we have enough data to be sure, though. It's just another variable for which we cannot properly account. Like I said, without universal averages, it's hard to be sure. As Nickdfresh stated, with the amount of miles on the vehicle in general, and the length of this oil change interval, and the high quality cleaning oil you're using, those numbers are nothing to be alarmed about. It looks very nice. If that were my UOA, I'd be pleased.

With your low Fe numbers I'd be inclined to suggest you are cleaning out old crud.

Sopus/Shell has nailed down a great AW addpack.

If you do another 3 runs on this oil then do another analyses you'll know for sure.

From what I see this is as good as it gets.

@LeakySeals: I was wondering that, but since I saw no potassium, I dismissed it. I don't know enough about the chemistry of all the modern coolants to know for sure. I wonder what coolant's in it right now. What did Hondas come with back in the day?

Its supposed to be running an Asian OAT coolant. The Asian coolants are silicate and borate free. They believe it prevents aluminum corrosion (radiator, HG, etc). Pretty sure the OEM was Honda Type 2 green OAT. Honda Type 2 green was dyed "blue" to distinguish it from being mixed with conventional greens. So if its been flushed or drained in recent years it should now be "blue".

We need to know what coolant he's using. If its a conventional green silicate and hes topping off the coolant reservoir at all its a clue.

Well, that stuff is phosphate and silicate free. Are you having to add any regularly? Is it a completely pressurized system, or does it have an unpressurized overflow tank (which can allow evaporation)?

That sodium is pretty darn low, particularly over such a long OCI, so I wouldn't be terrible worried.

Without knowing the UAs and a std dev for each criteria, it's hard to say how good or bad this might be.

It's clear that the readings are not anywhere near a condemnation level.

Is this the first UOA ever on this vehicle?
Is this the first PU run?
What lubes have been run in the past?
What OCIs have been run in the past?

There is nothing shameful at all in this UOA, but I suspect it's very "normal".

I don't think so, it's below the upper limit (12.5 for a SAE 30) and as the TBN is so good, it shows that the oil has not suffer a lot of oxidation that could have raise the viscocity.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Isn't the viscosity high?

It sure seems so. While technically still within 30wt, it's very rare that a Resource Conserving (ILSAC) oil would thicken so much in use. Usually they end up thinner, 30wt RC oils usually end up as 20wt or very thin 30wt. Ultra seems to be very stable in other applications.

Oxidative thickening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back