Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 7819 km, '18 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently changed my oil again, and sent another sample in for analysis.

This is the 2nd sample that has had no fuel dilution flagged. I have noticed that I am not hearing the same noise I used to hear under the hood, when I opened the door. Sounded like the High Pressure Fuel Pump was priming, or building up pressure, every time I opened the door. Just wondering if they were maybe related. I was experiencing fuel dilution for many of the first few oil samples I submitted, & now it seems like it isn't an issue.

I have been extending the oil change to around 8000 kilometers for the last 2 OCI, after seeing that my last analysis came back with no dilution.
Boron levels were low again on this analysis though, & Iron went up a bit with a little longer OCI probably normal

I recently purchased Magnatec 5W-30 oil, & am going to run this oil for a while.

Will probably send in a sample for analysis on the 2nd oil change.

Thought that maybe a higher viscosity oil, might be better for the 3.5 Ecoboost. Pennzoil Platinum is on the thinner end of a 5W-30.

Code

Aluminum 2

Chromium 1

Copper 6

Iron 17

Tin 0

Lead 0

Silicon 8

Molybdenum 78

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Potassium 1

Sodium 3

Boron 65 (Lower Critical)

Barium 0

Calcium 967

Magnesium 630

Manganese 1

Phosphorous 565

Zinc 666

Visc 40C 54.2

Visc 100C 9.4

Visc Index 158

Fuel % (No levels reported, again)

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 38
I have been using 5-30 Magnatec in my Ecoboost. Never did a UOA but I am right at 100K miles and engine is sweet.

I changed my oil early, at around 4000 kilometers or less. The initial sample came back at over 8% fuel dilution. Dealer offered no explanation, and said it was normal. Was keeping a pretty close eye on it for a while.

I had mentioned to the dealer that it was always making noise when I opened the door, and they said that was normal too. Everytime I went out to grab anything from the truck, it would make noise under the hood.

Not sure why it stopped doing it, but if it corrected the fuel dilution issue that's all that I was concerned about.

The PP 5w30 is on the thinner side of the 30 grade, starting at 9.8 cSt at 100*C. But, your used oil, at 9.4 cSt at 100*c, barely dropped in viscosity at all. Stayed in grade nicely.

Not sure why it would stop making the noise. My GTI had the same strategy...it would prime the in-tank pump to ready the car for starting anytime a door was opened, probably saved 1/2 engine revolution.

It shouldn't have anything to do with dilution as the only injector is the DI system. Is the ‘18 EB dual-injection?

Recent VOA by Blackstone on this website showed Castrol Magnatec @ 10.25 Visc 100C. I also have been running this oil in my 3.5 Ecoboost. I have some Red Line Professional Series 5W30 now that I will use on my next oil change. It's reported on their web and through speaking with one of their reps to have a starting point of 11.0 Visc 100C - one of the higher starting visc oils in the 5W30 range.

That lab's critical reading for Boron seems odd, when I haven't seen it flagged like that from other Labs.
Maybe a Lab analyst here can read into that Lab's interpretation of low Boron, better than I, where Moly exists also.

I am just a rookie amateur, at-home armchair, know very little analyzer. Hoping someone here with real know-how, responds.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'm running PP 5w30 in my 2nd gen 3.5 EB as well. Glad to see it perform well considering I have a bunch of it on hand. I have yet to do a UOA on my truck. Currently sitting at 23,000 KM on it.

Neil

2.2 ppm/1k miles of Fe is pretty darn decent. The other wear metals are nice and low, as is contamination. (soot at zero for all samples? seems odd ...)
Could do 10k miles given this data.
Motor on!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
2.2 ppm/1k miles of Fe is pretty darn decent. The other wear metals are nice and low, as is contamination. (soot at zero for all samples? seems odd ...)
Could do 10k miles given this data.
Motor on!

2.2 ppm / 1000 km or 3.5 ppp/ 1000 miles
I don't think they have been doing a soot analysis. I think that is the next level testing, & higher fees. I actually asked for the ISO, TAn, & TBN, but they missed it.

Up until April 8th 2019, there is a flaw in the VCT units within the engine. Mine is currently at 107000 miles and the vehicle is back at the dealer to get the VCT units changed out. You will know when this happens to you when the engine does an obvious cold start rattle or you hear a ticking or a diesel like sound sitting inside the vehicle while running.

This engine is known to fuel dilute so I would change the oil at 4000 miles...and I certainly wouldnt go beyond 5000.

I noticed that Mobil 1 oils seem to really thin out with this engine, but other oils seem more resistant to it.

Currently I use 5W40 Mobil Delvac 1.

Just one more note. My Navigator is used as a livery vehicle around the NYC area and its certainly severe service. I feel more comfortable using oil on the higher end of the 5W30 or the lower end of the 5W40 range because of how the vehicle is used and known problems with fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by CAboost
Recent VOA by Blackstone on this website showed Castrol Magnatec @ 10.25 Visc 100C. I also have been running this oil in my 3.5 Ecoboost. I have some Red Line Professional Series 5W30 now that I will use on my next oil change. It's reported on their web and through speaking with one of their reps to have a starting point of 11.0 Visc 100C - one of the higher starting visc oils in the 5W30 range.

I happened to notice the other day that M1 AP starts out at 11.7 Visc@100c. I think I'm going to start using that in my 3.5 EB..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back