Pennzoil Ultra (5W-20) - 5,318 mi - Jeep XK HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was in since 10/31/2010. The daily commute is about 15 miles one way from the suburbs, so there's a lot of stop & go, especially with the inclement weather through the winter. There was also some additional idle time that goes along with deicing and snow removal and waiting outside the mall at Christmas time. I don't really run her too hard, especially with the high gas prices and the less than stellar MPGs that the HEMI gets.
The 3 previous changes were at the dealer with PYB (5W-20) and Mopar filters (they were free). The filter for this run was a Royal Purple 20-820.
Any reason to be concerned with the aluminum, copper and/or iron? Should I expect these to decrease over time? What are the origins of these metals?
Currently she's running Pennzoil Platinum (5W-20) along with a Bosch Distance Plus filter - just wanted to try something different.
Since I'm still under warranty, I won't be going over 6,000 miles on a change.
Any & all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't care what blackstone says. 76 ppm copper is too high. I skiff at people when they panic about 5or 6 but you have more than ten times that amount. You night a more robust oil!!!!!!

There was about 17,200 total miles at the time of the test. 5,318 miles on the oil - about 12% less than the recommended OCI.

I don't think I go with 5W-30 due to the MDS.

Last edited:
It is possible it is still shedding wear metals from engine assembly. I wouldn't panic just yet. JMO

Short trips, in winter, over a 6 month OCI, in a new engine (would have been about 12k at oil install)...I'd say this is break in and the service.

Flash, viscosity, insols. are all good, so I'd say nothing to worry about - it'll hopefully trend down in future OCI's.

I agree with all that do not think this is an emergency situation. Wear-in is still going on and if your engine is spec'd for 5w20, use it while you are under warranty. Look at the UA's., obviously this sheds during the wear-in period. Keep it up. The only thing I may recommend is PP or PYB (any cheaper major oil) with 3-4k intervals for the next couple of OCI's.

Last edited:
come on now , its a Chrysler Fiat jeep with 17000 miles. You really needed an oil analysis to tell you that the motor is [censored]...Next time Buy American .

The higher wear metals could be due to being a V8. You can't expect wear levels of an I4 engine.

I'd stick to 5k. You are at a good OCI.

Originally Posted By: mva
Relax - metals a little high but it is still breaking in.

This.

The only way to speed up the break in process is several early oil changes.

I changed mine at 400 miles, 1400 miles, 2800 miles (6 mos) and 5500 miles (1 year). All the wear metals at my 5500 mile UOA were below average except for copper, which was still more than twice the average but trending down.

If you start with 4K OCIs right off the bat with a new engine, it's simply going to take awhile for the wear metals to settle down.

Originally Posted By: chad8
come on now , its a Chrysler Fiat jeep with 17000 miles. You really needed an oil analysis to tell you that the motor is [censored]...Next time Buy American .

The modern Chrysler Hemi is a very reliable, powerful engine.

It's made in America, for American vehicles. Fiat had nothing to do with this engine.

Get a brain.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Most likely from bearings.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Hemi engines use a main or rod bearing with copper. I think they are bi-metal (aluminum backing & lead in-lay).

Copper could be from an oil cooler which I know the Ram trucks have, not sure about the Jeep line of vehicles/SUVs.

As others have said, I think the engine is still breaking-in. A conventional oil would be my choice until metal trends start moving lower and extended OCIs come into the picture.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
I think I would try 5W30

That's an unwarranted knee-jerk reaction.

The PU 5W-20 is a mid-grade 20wt that has shown zero shear. In fact the oil's viscosity has increased 6% if the Blackstone KV100 figure is to be believed.

Originally Posted By: jtaylor
I don't care what blackstone says. 76 ppm copper is too high. I skiff at people when they panic about 5or 6 but you have more than ten times that amount. You night a more robust oil!!!!!!

Nothing is wrong at all this is normal for a pushrod HEMI will shed copper for about 10K more nothing at all to worry about yet.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: chad8

The modern Chrysler Hemi is a very reliable, powerful engine.

It's made in America, for American vehicles. Fiat had nothing to do with this engine.

Get a brain.

Not to validate chad's earlier comment, but I believe the Hemi is made in Mexico, and not in the United States. I don't know what you meant by "America". If you meant "North America" or "United States of America".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back