Pennzoil Synthetic 0W20, 4,015 miles, 2021 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5L (FB25 DOHC DI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.GIF.b86bde1a8d794a3d3508d7d60cb6023e.gif

Prior gen Mobil 1 would drop out of grade pretty quickly. There could be a reason why though. If they use a low viscosity base oil, and thickened it with a small amount of a "weak" polymer (OCP?), then that's not necessarily a bad thing. This could be what Mobil does, which is why you see it drop out of grade. The Hansen solubility parameter of an oil will be very good as a result especially if they are using AN's, which for prior SN version of Mobil 1 it was suggested they use 10% AN.

The lower the viscosity of the base, the higher the Hansen solubility parameter.

If you use a low-viscosity base, which had to be thickened with a weak polymer, you won't have to add as much of it.

The stronger the polymer, the more it needs to be added.

OCP polymers are unstable, but work strong at low doses to "thicken" from what I read.

I've been looking into "Varnish" lately so this is a good read!

View attachment 179904
Is this going to be a bitog meme? A feel good meaningless marketing graphic for oil nerds?
Wonder if we can make it go viral?

The Infinium graph is saying that you can't have a polymer which does both which makes sense being that polymers change their shape when heated. The greater the change the thicker the oil will become but the repeatability degrades faster vs polymers which change less.

By that definition a person could run marine 2 stroke oil in their cars... As long as they were changing on time right? They couldn't deny your engine warranty claim b/c it's merely a recommendation? And how is it that oil is a recommendation but the change intervals are not?
The warranty is predicated on engine damage not grade nor license nor an approval. In this specific instance using an oil of a higher grade will not cause damage, that’s not how it works. The greater MOFT will protect better, not worse.

I'm just reading. I don't know enough about it. Maybe someone that knows more about polymers can jump in.

Last edited:
Hello BITOG Community,
Attached is my used oil analysis.

The Blackstone Universal Averages are for 6,100 miles.
Oil Service time - 6 months
Time of Year - March through August
Driving Conditions - 90% highway, mostly 20 minute trips
Oil Filter - Fram Tough Guard

As always I most appreciate all your good comments and insights.
Wear numbers are ok , but, the vis is too low. Try a thicker 0w-20 like Pennzoil Ultra.

Now you’re being silly. He obviously needs to follow the certification requirement for minimum oil standards.

Subaru is one of the best known manufacturers for showing a thin grade in the chart for CAFE credits, but then having an asterisk down below that says something to the effect of: “in hotter temperatures or continued high speed driving, a heavier grade oil may be required to maintain engine protection.” Cue: BRZ engine failures on 0w20… ✌️
There was an owner on the Outback forum that kept pushing SoA via email on the point in the manual about thicker viscosity being required in high temps. At first, SoA just kept pushing 0W-20 but this guy was pretty persistent and they finally said that the 0W-30 that he wanted to use was fine.

I think they were just tired of going back and forth on the topic and they just gave in. :ROFLMAO:

Stolen from @edhackett :

Never attribute to engineers that into which politicians, lawyers, accountants, and marketeers have poked their fingers.

The warranty is predicated on engine damage not grade nor license nor an approval. In this specific instance using an oil of a higher grade will not cause damage, that’s not how it works. The greater MOFT will protect better, not worse.
Did I say a higher grade will cause damage somewhere? Didn't think so... I'm well aware of how it works..

I tell people to follow what the manual says, under warranty, & some here have a meltdown...

Last edited:
Warranty = 0w-20. Just one less thing to worry about. Instead of multiple UOA’s I’d spend the money on HPL 0w-20. Once it’s out of warranty do another UOA and see how the engines doing.

Before this thread is locked, here is what the manual says:

IMG_2480.jpeg

Now debate how much anxiety you should have about hypothetical warranty issues vs. proven fuel dilution issues.

All this angst over 3 cSt…. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back