Penzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 0w-20, 4,933 Miles, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Sharing my first UOA of my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The oil was paired with a Fram Tough Guard TG-11665 oil filter cartridge.

I would appreciate the sharing of UOAs of vehicles with the Pentastar 3.6L V6. I’d like to see if the iron shedding reduces over time. At 28,933 miles I was expecting mine to be lower than the 21 on my report; more in the 8-10 range. I would also appreciate insights on different oils being used. I’ve been using Penzoil since day one because it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

Thank you!

Attachments

• UOA-2019 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE.jpg
    UOA-2019 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 325
Universal averages for iron show 18. You aren't far off. I wouldn't expect a different brand oil to suddenly bring you into the single digits.

Thanks Joel for the feedback, you're spot on. It would be cool if Blackstone would provide the standard deviation next to the universal averages to see what the low & high values are within the average.

I'm hoping there are BITOG members out there that are getting low iron numbers to see what oil they're using and mileage they have on their vehicles. In the mean time I'm trying to find them via the search engine.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Using the BITOG search engine I was able to find 9 UOAs plus 2 from OhioTech above. Thank you OhioTech for sharing your UOA history.

I've started a data table selecting UOAs that were done with approximately 5,000-10,000 miles on the oil and all have the Pentastar 3.6 V6. I then sorted the data by Iron PPM in ascending order. I want to emphasize this is only a start, more than 11 data points are needed to draw any conclusions.

So far the UAOs with the least Iron PPM were with 5W20 oil versus the later 0W20. The table can use more UOAs especially from later model vehicles using 0w20. Please continue to share and I'll add them. Thank you!

Attachments

• UOA comparison 2022-10-14.jpg
    UOA comparison 2022-10-14.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: FZ1
Using the BITOG search engine I was able to find 9 UOAs plus 2 from OhioTech above. Thank you OhioTech for sharing your UOA history.

I've started a data table selecting UOAs that were done with approximately 5,000-10,000 miles on the oil and all have the Pentastar 3.6 V6. I then sorted the data by Iron PPM in ascending order. I want to emphasize this is only a start, more than 11 data points are needed to draw any conclusions.

So far the UAOs with the least Iron PPM were with 5W20 oil versus the later 0W20. The table can use more UOAs especially from later model vehicles using 0w20. Please continue to share and I'll add them. Thank you!
This is because there is more VII additive in the 0W-20 with a thinner base stock typically - that hurts HTFS - and so valvetrain, timing chains, and ring/liner interfaces where full temporary shear occurs, will have higher wear rates.

Finding a 0W-20 with a relatively high HTFS and relatively low HTHS will probably optimize economy and minimize wear.

Not my UOA btw, that belongs to @wwillson!

There is nothing wrong with your 21 PPM Iron. Newer engines shed more iron. Your Fe will come down, it probably already has as you have no lab results from the first 20,000 miles. There really are to many hidden variables to place much value in the data you are collecting. Your sample looks great.

Great worksheet. Smart and succinct. Thanks, much.

Last edited:
Back