Pennzoil Platinum Looks Cleaner than M1 after use - explanations?

I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic for many years in a variety of vehicles. A couple of years ago I went to Wallies to get oil for my 2005 Sienna, and there was no 5W30 M1 in stock, so I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum. When I changed oil again, I noticed that the PP looked significantly cleaner than the M1 ever had in any of my vehicles, including the Sienna - noticeably lighter in color rather than the dark I am accustomed to seeing. This has held true for several more oil changes using PP. Nothing has changed in terms of the OCI (7,500+ miles), filter (usually Fram Ultra), or general driving patterns. It currently has about 144K miles (yes, I know I don't drive a lot). It has never consumed much oil, certainly less than 1/4 quart per oil change, usually much less than that if any.

I mentioned this to a colleague who does a lot of work on cars and car restorations, and he questioned whether this was a good thing, thinking that the PP may not be doing its job of removing dirt, etc.

I continue to use M1 in my 2008 Civic, and it looks the same as it always has.

Thoughts? Is this the norm for PP?

Hopefully unrelated was the recent need to replace a leaking valve cover gasket, but I don't suppose that is terribly surprising given the vehicle's age.

It's near impossible to pass judgement on subjective evaluations such as this. I do feel confident in saying both MI and Penzoil Platinum are both quality oils. At 7500 miles change interval, you can feel confident that you are doing your part towards long engine life.
Well, to be completely honest 8,500+ miles is not uncommon, over the years sometimes somewhat more that that when I have forgotten. But I have always used good oil and filters.

Mobil oil always looks dirtier in my cars too when compared to the Supertech or Valvoline I generally use.

I would concur what your seeing is true, but I don’t know why.

You cannot really judge oil based on color alone, Mobil 1 likely has stronger detergents though

Pennzoil Platinum HM also stays noticeably lighter in color than M1 HM or Castrol Edge HM in my Honda as well.

I always thought it was oxidation of something in the additive pack. If its holding particles in suspension or cleaning I am going back to conventional oil because it always got darker than the synthetic.

Some pictures would be nice.

FWIW, Mobil 1 uses way more anti oxidants than Pennzoil. Anti oxidants will darken and stay that way the first time the oil reaches operating temperature.

Well, if there was one thing Project Farm oil testing videos learned on me, was that different virgin oils start at different colours and darken substantially being heated up to 400F in a coffee pot. The virgin oil was not subject to anything other than heat. No where to pick up "dirt" from.

After heating, the different oils had varying shades of darkness to them.

Well, if there was one thing Project Farm oil testing videos learned on me, was that different virgin oils start at different colours and darken substantially being heated up to 400F in a coffee pot. The virgin oil was not subject to anything other than heat. No where to pick up "dirt" from.

After heating, the different oils had varying shades of darkness to them.
It's the anti oxidant in motor oil that changes color with heat.

FWIW, Mobil 1 uses way more anti oxidants than Pennzoil. Anti oxidants will darken and stay that way the first time the oil reaches operating temperature.
It seems to me this would explain the difference I observed. I had no other frame of reference since I had used M1 in this vehicle from the beginning.

For me personally, Amsoil darkens quickly, then stays about the same color throughout the interval. Mobil1 is more linear, not turning dark/darker until 10,000 miles. I’m running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum right now, and after 1,000 miles it does look similar to what Mobil1 usually looks like in my engine. Pretty clean.

I have observed this also, but as a man of science I was skeptical that it was my observation bias or some other explanation. I saw it with PP HM and M1 EP HM in the same vehicle. Interesting that others see it. I have observed also that M1 seems to be a little darker in new form. Also perceived that engine was quieter with PPHM that M1, but that is so subjective. I have PP in the vehicle now so I will loo for the color at next change. Our senses are perceptive but inaccurate.

It’s the opposite in my pickup. M1 lighter than PP. 6.0L gas 2500 heavy towing use. I don’t read anything into it. 🤷‍♂️

I have observed the exact same, and also thought I was just being silly. It also seems like the Mobil 1 oil comes out thicker or chunkier if that makes sense. I also lose more oil over the 7500 OCI than with PP.

Back