Pennzoil platinum euro vs Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's another thread comparing the two but I can't find a definitive answer. Anyone have experience with both?

In comparing their predecessors: M1 0W40 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 Euro, I found that both had excellent UOAs in the Volvos in my sig. The two Volvos have essentially the same engine...and both cars saw a lot of city driving with a 7,500 mile OCI. Very low wear metals and plenty of TBN left despite the turbo engines in summer heat and short trips.

Both oils performed very well. I would let price be your guide. In my case, Mrs. Astro is from PA, so we go with sentimentality as the determining factor in her Volvo...it is currently running Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Euro (SM formulation) until I use up the several cases that I bought on clearance for $1 - $2 a quart.

Last edited:
Here's your answer. Use only one oil for 200K. then after that run, use the other one for 200K. Then make a decision. UOAs really can't tell you much at all, except for the condition of the oil. Like fuel, dirt, or coolant contamination.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
There is no definitive answer because there is no statically significant data available. ed

+1

Stop stressing over it and just pick one based on price/availability. They are comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back