Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 - 6,819 mi - 2013 Chevy Impala 3.6L V6

Oil Lab.png

This is a new to me 2013 Impala with the 3.6L LFX GDI engine. I topped off 1 quart at 5,294 miles and changed the oil when the OLM read 0% at 6,819 mi. The engine sees redline a few times a week and gets plenty of wide open throttle accelerations daily. I used Pennzoil Platinum as seemed to be recommended both here and on an Impala forum for this engine.

Looks good to me. Low iron wear numbers at below the universal average , oil is still in grade at 9.6 cst, and ample TBN left for the distance covered.

I would keep using PP 5W30 and keep following the OLM.

My mother has a 2012 Impala with same engine and runs Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w30 at 5k. She is at 143k and engine is spotless inside the oil fill hole. It uses a qt between changes so not bad. Has never done anything maintenance wise except oil changes.

This is a new to me 2013 Impala with the 3.6L LFX GDI engine. I topped off 1 quart at 5,294 miles and changed the oil when the OLM read 0% at 6,819 mi. The engine sees redline a few times a week and gets plenty of wide open throttle accelerations daily. I used Pennzoil Platinum as seemed to be recommended both here and on an Impala forum for this engine.

Good info to know. I just changed my wife's oil last night (2017 3.6 Impala) with the exact same oil, which I have mainly used since we purchased the car 3 yrs ago (used)
Her OLM was only at 44% but with the onset of winter coming and the fact most of her driving is short city type totaling approx 10-12 km's per day, I was comfortable changing it out. Due to covid and from working at home, her OLM is usually much lower this time of year but I decided to stick to the schedule of spring/fall mtce wise as well.

Curious, with regards to your Impala forum, what the thoughts are on PUP? I have ran both in this car based on availability/sales but would think the PUP would get a slight nod over the PP?

I run the PUP in my son's 08 Chev Malibu 2.4 Ecotec and it runs silky smooth and quiet but would have no qualms running the PP as well. From the past reading I've done on here, there supposedly isn't a lot of difference between the 2 oils, but in all honesty, I can't help but think the PUP might be a slightly better choice for both engines?
Edit: Meant to ask what oil filter you are using? Fram TG's here in everything.

Attachments

• Sue's car.JPG
    Sue's car.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Sue's car 1.jpg
    Sue's car 1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Consistently low viscosity for a 30 grade oil from Pennzoil. Not necessarily a bad thing but IMO I wouldn't be comfortable with it protecting the engine at load.
Thanks for sharing

Consistently low viscosity for a 30 grade oil from Pennzoil. Not necessarily a bad thing but IMO I wouldn't be comfortable with it protecting the engine at load.
Thanks for sharing

With 0W-16 oils now on the market, I honestly don't think running a 5W-30 oil that is slightly on the thin side is anything to worry about, but that's just my opinion.

It looks good. The TBN got a boost from adding the extra quart, so keep that in mind going forward if for some reason you don't need to add a quart. Their 9K OCI recommendation might be a bit much if no make up oil was added. 7,500 miles might be a safer number w/o make up oil, I'm curious what the resident experts think.

Back