Pennzoil platinum 5W30 2008 Toyota Sienna 230,000 miles

Here’s an update on the Sienna. Switched oil to 5W30 Walmart Supertech synthetic. The oil was in for 8 months and most commutes were daily, less than one mile total distance. It saw a few longer distance trips of 600 miles. A fair amount of idle time.

Attachments

• 0993328D-8758-47DA-A53D-7BAA68529670.jpeg
    0993328D-8758-47DA-A53D-7BAA68529670.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 128
This particular engine is seeing very short trips most of the time; fuel and wear rates will be elevated. Plus this engine series wears a bit more than others. The Cu elevation is what is perplexing. I personally don't think you're out of the woods yet.

But, because you basically bought it as a DD beater (low investment = low expectations) I'd just drive the wheels off it. Do the UOAs if you simply enjoy them. If you're into experiments, consider trying a dino oil 5w-30 and see what changes, if any, may happen. Can't hurt at this point!

This particular engine is seeing very short trips most of the time; fuel and wear rates will be elevated. Plus this engine series wears a bit more than others. The Cu elevation is what is perplexing. I personally don't think you're out of the woods yet.

But, because you basically bought it as a DD beater (low investment = low expectations) I'd just drive the wheels off it. Do the UOAs if you simply enjoy them. If you're into experiments, consider trying a dino oil 5w-30 and see what changes, if any, may happen. Can't hurt at this point!
The UOA’s is a hobby with this vehicle. I’m interested to see how long I can drive it. I’m not too overly concerned about the CU until I see a trend. The motor was down about 1 quart at change/sample time. I didn’t replenish it. The oil sample came after a 600 mile trip. I’m sure the fuel % was higher before the trip which added to the wear.

Many short trips with engine not fully warm would be my thinking on the cause.
Very true. During winter the motor wouldn’t get above 120- 130 degrees traveling to and from work. Fairly severe duty.

Lots of idle time, a lot of short trips, fuel dilution, towing, and winter in a 230k mile engine. Both your reports look reasonable to me. Might even try a 40 grade and see how it does.

Back