Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 / 2007 Nissan Titan 5.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was used during December -May with frigid winter temps in Alaska. It was subject to frequent Stop and go with low commutting miles ( 15 daily roundtrip). It also Idled alot during the winter. It rarely got to operating temps on most occasions. I did have a cold air intake on and could account for the silicone. I have since added a prefilter. This is the 3rd oil change this beast has seen. I'm using a M1 Filter. No make up oil and 3,086 on the oil. Looks like I should easy be able to do 6mos 5k changes with PP. What do you guys think?

ALUM 3
CHROM 0
IRON 12
COPPER 8
LEAD 2
TIN 0
MOLY 61
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 48
SILICON 15
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 3,038
MAGNESUM 14
PHOSPHRUS 699
Zinc 842
barium 0

VISCOSITY 56.3
CST-9.16
Flashpoint 420
Fuel 0.5
antifreeze 0
water 0
insolubles .2
TBN 5.O

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
Looks like I should easy be able to do 6mos 5k changes with PP. What do you guys think?

Considering many of the other PP UOA on here, I'm surprised to see anyone doing less than that. Although, if I were in your situation, I would probably run a shorter OCI, test it and then modify OCI appropriately.

Go longer for sure.

Clark

PS - Good numbers!

You would run a a shorter OCI than 3k and retest during the winter months? Blackstone said it looks like this Nissan is past wear -in (Copper may still come down). Does any think the copper is anything to worry about? It does have a copper washer on the drain plud and I have seen Copper debris on the grooves before.
I have since put on aa Fumoto valve with a different washer.

With that TBN number and flashpoint (even though it is "open-cup"), you're fine for 5k miles or 6 months. I'd skip the time factor and just go with two 5k mile runs, sampling the second run. I'd even be tempted to go 6k on each run, sampling the second.

I would guess your May to December usage would be kinder on the oil than the December to May run, no?

Yea my spring/summer isn't has bad with the rising tmeps and no idling in the morning to warm the vehicle before the kiddies get in. I just wanted to make sure PP was doing it's job during the harshest time weather wise and Vehicle wise. I cant control the commute part but I do go on longer trips during the summer too.

Considering the conditions that looks pretty good. I wouldn't loose any sleep going out to at 6mo/5k miles like you plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back