Pennzoil Platinum 0W30 Euro LX for Pentastar 3.6?

In an effort to simplify my stash, I want to stick with a single grade for all the vehicles I service. Hence I'd like to standardize with a 30 weight oil. Up here in Canada, we can get Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX in 0W30 but it only meets Chrysler's MS-11106 spec. One of my vehicles is a 2015 Dodge Caravan with the Pentastar 3.6 which calls for MS-6395. The standard Pennzoil Platinum is only available in 5W30 (no 0W30), but does meet MS-6395.

Do you guys see any issue with this or should I just stick with PP 5W30? I do prefer a 0W30 for the cold winters.

Thanks!

In an effort to simplify my stash, I want to stick with a single grade for all the vehicles I service. Hence I'd like to standardize with a 30 weight oil. Up here in Canada, we can get Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX in 0W30 but it only meets Chrysler's MS-11106 spec. One of my vehicles is a 2015 Dodge Caravan with the Pentastar 3.6 which calls for MS-6395. The standard Pennzoil Platinum is only available in 5W30 (no 0W30), but does meet MS-6395.

Do you guys see any issue with this or should I just stick with PP 5W30? I do prefer a 0W30 for the cold winters.

Thanks!
Take into consideration that LX is very heavy W30 oil. At KV100 it is almost W40 oil. So you might see some some increase in consumption (maybe not noticable) and bit more resistance to revs.
It is excellent oil designed for much more complex engines.

5W30 is good for -30 C starts and 0w30 is good for -35 C starts. My local winter temps get down to -32 C and my truck does a cold start every afternoon on weekdays. I use that exact oil in my 6.0 Chev in the winter and it will show up in the oil change posting in a few months from now. I do want the 12 cSt viscosity in my engine with 200,000 miles.

Your 2015 Pentastar is still a Gen 1 engine, correct? If so, that engine was originally designed to run a w30 oil. I personally think the Euro LX would be worth a try for an interval, maybe even send it out for a UOA for peace of mind.

I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, 5w-30 and used Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20 in my Caravan without any issues. I'm sure you'll be fine.

5W-20 PP or Ultra year round in my 13 Hemi Ram and 5W30 in PP/Ultra in my son's and wife's vehicles year round with nary a problem as well. If I lived in an area where it was consistently -30/-40 throughout the winter I'd likely go to the 0W formula but I'd have no qualms running 5W if I couldn't get the 0W oil.

PP Euro LX is way more oil than you need for that engine. Is M1 0w-30 available? That would be my choice for your circumstances.

My 3.6 Pentastar started life on the recommended 5W-20 (PP, Mobil, and SuperTech) but I've migrated my entire fleet to 5W-30 also. My winters are warm in western Washington so that isn't a consideration but I couldn't tell a difference between any of the vehicles (and I track fuel consumption) so take it for what it is worth. I'm not sure how people evaluate different oils without tearing down an engine but hey.... one uninformed opinion is as good as another.

Last edited:
Back