Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, 5,825 miles, 2017 Civic 1.5T

30K miles on the odometer. Left the oil in longer than I intended, should have changed in December with about 4K on the oil, but off it went to college with my daughter who only visited a couple of weeks ago.

This fill was Penn Plat 0W20... Silicon seems a little on the high side, but nothing else seems to be out of the ordinary. The sample was taken after a 10 mile shopping run, so not a short trip, the day after the 200 mile trip home. Fuel dilution does not seem to be rearing its ugly head. I refilled with PP 5W30.

So let's get some feedback. Is it as uneventful as it looks to me, or is there a flag or two hiding in this UOA that I'm not seeing?

17 Civic Mar 2021 notes.png

Looks like they are doin' it with base stock.
Good report.
TY.
I wudda stuck with 0W20 PP.
Definitely short OCIs like you are doing..

My buddy at work reports a dropoff in engine performance in his Civic Hatchback with that engine,
I believe same MY.
@ ~ 150K miles.
IDK maybe he just needs a walnut shell blast.

That oil seems awfully light on metallic additives, even compared to competitive brands. Pennzoil must be using an additive system that is different than most other blenders and hopefully it works.

My buddy at work reports a dropoff in engine performance in his Civic Hatchback with that engine,
I believe same MY.
@ ~ 150K miles.
IDK maybe he just needs a walnut shell blast.
The DI injectors on the 1.5T are quite problematic. It wouldn't surprise me if that is related to his drop-off in performance.

I am surprised that there is really no hint of fuel dilution, which is a common occurrence with these engines specifically. This OCI length looks good, i would stick with it. Thanks for the report.

Can you tell any difference driving wise between 0W-20 and 5W-30?
Really couldn't say, it's my daughter's car. But I've used different viscousities in my cars before and I've truly never been able to feel any differences in driving dynamics. I've always thought any changes would be too minuscule to be noticed.

Really couldn't say, it's my daughter's car. But I've used different viscousities in my cars before and I've truly never been able to feel any differences in driving dynamics. I've always thought any changes would be too minuscule to be noticed.
Right on!

I am surprised that there is really no hint of fuel dilution, which is a common occurrence with these engines specifically. This OCI length looks good, i would stick with it. Thanks for the report.
I was surprised at the minimal fuel dilution as well, I really did expect to see some frightening results from this UOA. Especially since the oil was in use for 15 months.

Boring, just the way it should be.
Check the air filter re: higher silicon.
Looks like 6,000 miles is the sweet spot.
Yep, that's the plan, but the car's out of my reach right now, and she doesn't have any friends car-smart enough to check her airbox to ensure it's secured andsealed properly. For heaven's sake, she had to show her boyfriend how to change a flat tire a couple of months ago... and these "kids" are in their early 20s... smh.

Yep, that's the plan, but the car's out of my reach right now, and she doesn't have any friends car-smart enough to check her airbox to ensure it's secured andsealed properly. For heaven's sake, she had to show her boyfriend how to change a flat tire a couple of months ago... and these "kids" are in their early 20s... smh.
If she can change a tire, she could probably check the air box / air filter. Plenty of videos out there for that car.

This report makes a good argument that 0w20 is better for this engine. Looks like better wear numbers, held viscosity and tbn was still good all with more miles.

Back