Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, 5,825 miles, 2017 Civic 1.5T

Even Blackstone says that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA between appropriately rated oils. Any minor changes one might see on the UOA are not due to the oil but instead due to operating conditions or usage. It's literally impossible to say that one oil is better than another through a $30 spectrographic analysis by looking at "wear numbers".

This report makes a good argument that 0w20 is better for this engine. Looks like better wear numbers, held viscosity and tbn was still good all with more miles.
I agree, this fill performed quite well, with the exception of silicon, which is odd since I went nowhere close to the airfilter at all since we purchased the car in Dec 2017. I looked at the air filter location and saw that these airboxes aren't secured by clips like 99% of airboxes out there, but the lid is actually fastened with 4 screws.

The only thing I differently was pull the sample from the dipstick tube using Blackstone's vacuum pump... maybe there were traces of silicon in the tubing provided... who knows?

The current fill of 5W30 might present data that will allow a good comparison between the 2 viscousities... time will tell.

Even Blackstone says that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA between appropriately rated oils. Any minor changes one might see on the UOA are not due to the oil but instead due to operating conditions or usage. It's literally impossible to say that one oil is better than another through a $30 spectrographic analysis by looking at "wear numbers".
The knock down drag outs that used to occur here over 5 ppm delta was unreal

Yup! From central Florida and down... never seen any a day under 50F.
Our '16 Coupe Touring is a keeper, we can check dilution here 46 degrees north with a oilboy extractor but it seems all about cold (really cold) starts.

Back