Pennzoil Plat Euro L 5w-30 in a gasoline engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Infiniti M56x with the DI V8 that requires 6.4 qts of oil. I used 5qts. of the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 Euro L and 1.4qts of the regular Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 oil for an oil change as this is what I had on hand. I am now beginning to realize the Euro L is made for Diesel engines and is significantly different from the PP 5w-30.

What harm is being done to the engine, catalytic converters, etc? I can drain this mixture out and pour in the regular PP 5w-30 if the Euro L is a problem with the 1.4 qts of PP in there.

Thanks

With the DI design, I was planning 5k miles on this change. Car was on a conventional oil diet up until 3.5k miles ago. I used PP Ultra 5w-30 during my last oil change and the oil came out very dark after 3.5k miles. This car turns oil dark within 500 miles after an oil change. This is my first DI engine and from what I understand, it's just the nature of these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
With the DI design, I was planning 5k miles on this change. Car was on a conventional oil diet up until 3.5k miles ago. I used PP Ultra 5w-30 during my last oil change and the oil came out very dark after 3.5k miles. This car turns oil dark within 500 miles after an oil change. This is my first DI engine and from what I understand, it's just the nature of these.

I think you are ok with 5k oil changes. If you were doing 10k, I'd have second thoughts.

What exactly is the difference between Euro spec oil and normal synthetic oil available in north america?

For ex: I've seen Total Quartz oil available in our specialty shops, as well as LiquiMoly... I've been curious about these brands but stayed away since they are Euro spec'd oil.

Can someone please explain?

Well for me, I drive a Mercedes and the spec for the gassers is MB 229.5. So if the oil meets that spec, I put it in. Lots of regular US oils don't list that as a spec and MB's website list all the oils that meet their spec. Their regular oil change interval is 10-13k so the oils have to meet some standards for wear and other properties.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

OP, your oil PP Euro L 5W30 is an excellent oil, keep it in there, just don't do a long OCI, but your regular 5K miles will be fine.
(Link PP5W30 Euro L PDF)

This oil is API SN so it's fine for modern petrol (gas) cars, ACEA C3 so good engine protection and good CAT protection, plus OEMs like Dexos2, BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51

It is an excellent mid-SAPS oil. I would very happily run it in most modern cars.

Originally Posted By: HOG
What exactly is the difference between Euro spec oil and normal synthetic oil available in north america?

The American API spec and the European ACEA spec are not mutually exclusive and can work well together. I mostly buy oils that are both API SN and ACEA A3/B4.

The API spec is more simple, S for spark ignition (gas/petrol) and C for compression ignition (diesel). It's a good basic spec, but things are not taken too far.

The Euro ACEA spec holds the oil to a higher standard, so not all API SN oils would qualify for a ACEA spec, but when an oil gets a Euro spec it still keeps it's original API spec. The confusion is that there are many Euro specs, not just one. I mostly know the 2012 spec, so there might be a few minor changes with the 2016 update, but not much.

For regular cars, you use Ax/Bx where the A is for Petrol/gas and the B is for light duty diesel, and you must qualify for both to claim either, but I will focus on the A part for now. Anything that is A3 is high HTHS (high oil film strength), high SAPS and high TBN so it's a strong long life oil. If it's A5 or A1 it's lower HTHS so more like a ILSAC GF-5 oil, but at a higher standard. Here A5 is better than A1, but only 20 grades qualify for A1.

C is all about your exhaust CATs. A C3 is a high HTHS mid-SAPS oil, while C2 is low HTHS mid-SAPS. They are the most common and the OP above has a C3 oil. The usual Dexos SAPS (Sulphated Ash) level is about the same as the ACEA mid-SAPS level. So a C3 is similar to a Dexos2 oil and a C2 is similar to a Dexos1 oil.

The E series oils are for heavy duty diesel engines. You will see them on oils like Rotella, Delvac and Delo.

Does the Euro L which is different from the Euro, have the same cleaning abilities as the regular Pennzoil Platinum made for gasoline engines?

There is an A3/B4 5w-30 Euro, and then the one you have. As to cleaning abilities, it can be difficult to compare. Again, the oil you chose is approved for your application. As long as you're not trying overly long oil change intervals, which aren't something Nissan/Infiniti have gotten into until recently, it won't be a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back