Pennzoil Euro L no longer VW Approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're "supposed to." There is a data sheet out there for it and everything, as a Pennzoil branded product. The distributor just cannot even order it.
wink.gif
Incidentally, there was some confusion within the Canadian distribution network over this very issue with the VW approvals, too. Reps having very limited interest in their own product lines doesn't exactly help, either.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Odd yes, but if the oil meets all the other requirements of A3/B4 and can do so with a lower SAPS count, then I guess that's why they market it?

In Aus Valvoline also lists A3/B4 spec on it's Synpower MST 5W30 and 5W40 oils. I've been really happy with these oils in my parents mitsubish modern petrol and diesel vehicles as they are low saps but have a strong HTHS.

(I might have quite a stash in the shed...
crazy.gif
but don't we all.)

Regards
jordan

New bottles of Valvoline 5W40 MST indicates strictly ACEA C3.

Acea c3 and acea a3 hahha. Its the same to have a Ilsac gf5 5w-50
smile.gif
The Russian LUk oil have the same spec here in Finland but its fake

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Odd yes, but if the oil meets all the other requirements of A3/B4 and can do so with a lower SAPS count, then I guess that's why they market it?

You can't be A3/B4 and C3 at the same time. That's just gibberish. The specifications are mutually exclusive. That doesn't mean it's a bad oil, but what is it actually? Given the actual dexos2 license, if I were to rely on it, I'd treat it as a C3 oil, and certainly not A3/B4.

Exactly ! I have a big problem (well a little OCD problem) with Valvoline Australia claiming ACEA A3/B4/C3 on some of their mid-SAPS oils. It's obviously a C3 oil that is suitable for A3/B4 applications with low sulphur fuel (or reasonable OCI) but it's not a real high-SAPS & high TBN A3/B4 oil.

I've phoned them up about this, but the guys at the end of the phone had no idea of the ACEA sequences and called me a "trouble maker". Still I like how Aussie service people can be a bit rude and still keep their job.

At one point in time there was an overlap in specifications allowing ACEA A3-B4 and C3 at the same time - I think around 2008, so it could be old/obsolete spec/labelling as there is no current valid ACEA spec that has an overlap.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Exactly ! I have a big problem (well a little OCD problem) with Valvoline Australia claiming ACEA A3/B4/C3 on some of their mid-SAPS oils. It's obviously a C3 oil that is suitable for A3/B4 applications with low sulphur fuel (or reasonable OCI) but it's not a real high-SAPS & high TBN A3/B4 oil.

Yes, there's a pretty big gulf between C3 and A3/B4 when it comes to SA. Certainly, there are those situations when you can interchange based upon fuel quality, as you mention. However, trying to be technically correct isn't being a troublemaker. As I mentioned in another thread recently, it's ironic how these tech lines are often staffed by the least technically competent people on staff, the ones who cannot engineer, design, formulate, run a network, turn a wrench, or handle a mop.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
At one point in time there was an overlap in specifications allowing ACEA A3-B4 and C3 at the same time - I think around 2008, so it could be old/obsolete spec/labelling as there is no current valid ACEA spec that has an overlap.

That's true, at stage there was an overlap. But it's certainly not allowed under the most recent 2016 ACEA sequences or the previous 2012 sequences. The oils I was looking at were being sold (and I assume made) well after that overlap had been closed.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Valvoline 5W40 MST now claims only ACEA C3.

Thank goodness.
It was like a poke in the eye every time I saw the previous label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back