Pennzoil black label vs Supertech’s offerings

Once upon a time I used to buy this Black Label product but I can't find it anymore;
Hey, Maybel, how 'bout another Black Label !

It may surely be gone for the same reason why Schlitz is gone - But I don't recall how it tasted.

I did have some Carlsberg last year - THAT was 10X better than Heinekin.
I Don't recall if it was the Lager or a Pilsner.

Honestly in those out of warranty turbo gdi engines I'd use a euro rated oil like QS euro (which are used in gas and diesel di engines and have anti lspi measures in their design like lspi quenchers and if they carry an sn plus or sp rating they're certified for lspi)

I'd also use delo 400 since i have a friend that works at a service center for commercial trucks and equipment like bobcat and other brands and they use delo 400 as a fleet oil for the gas and diesel engines.

He gets free oil changes on his 2012 ecoboost and has had no issues when we were just chatting and asked about his engine reliability and service. I asked if the diesel oil caused problems with it and said no. Makes sense as I later looked up that delo 400 sde is one of the lowest calcium and higher magnesium dual rated oils.

The weird thing is that when i compared the voa's of the old sn plus version of QS euro and CK/SN delo 400 sde it was actually the delo that showed a better counter lspi additive formulation although the delo isn't lspi certified while the old SN plus euro is.

If it has the SN Plus or SP certification you can rest easy about lspi. If it's just api SN like dual rated diesels you could have an issue but it's fairly low. If it's a pure CK oil you will probably have issues if you only have di and not di and port injection. The port injection is supposed to also mitigate lspi furthermore in the newer engines as it phases to it at low rpm's.

Last edited:
Hey, Maybel, how 'bout another Black Label !

It may surely be gone for the same reason why Schlitz is gone - But I don't recall how it tasted.

I did have some Carlsberg last year - THAT was 10X better than Heinekin.
I Don't recall if it was the Lager or a Pilsner.
That might well be a good thing.

I own an ecoboost engine as well and I tend to keep my ocis well under 10,000 miles. A lot of ecoboost owners have the same idea mean they’re free to choose oils like ST or Kirkland FS. If you keep them short in your rigs, then pick any one of the entry level FS oils that carry the right certifications for Ford…

I have the last 5w-30 Magnetec in my stash in the ecoboost now. After this oci, it’s on to Kirkland brand 5w-30…

I own an ecoboost engine as well and I tend to keep my ocis well under 10,000 miles. A lot of ecoboost owners have the same idea mean they’re free to choose oils like ST or Kirkland FS. If you keep them short in your rigs, then pick any one of the entry level FS oils that carry the right certifications for Ford…

I have the last 5w-30 Magnetec in my stash in the ecoboost now. After this oci, it’s on to Kirkland brand 5w-30…
I wouldn't consider them an entry level oil being D1G2. I would consider them an economic or budget conscience (not as in cheap) oil.

So it's head to head against Mobil SuperSyn, right?
No, because the Mobil Super carries a Dexos rating, and the new Pennzoil synthetic does not.

Just speculating now, but since SOPUS and FCA have been joined at the hip for more than a decade, perhaps there was pressure to release a product that didn't display a competitors trademarked insignia front and center on the container for a product not required by 83% of vehicles sold in the USA? Possibly, but only insiders would know.

I have done the same. Ive been running M1 since 1998. Ive switch to ST.
Funny you should say this. I changed the oil in my brother in laws Ranger (has like 275,000 miles.) He has always run Mobile 1. He is in between jobs and had a motorcycle accident (lost part of his leg.) So, he said he didn't want to spend more than $20 on an oil change going forward. I put in Supertech Full Synthetic HM 5W-30 and a ST Filter. Talked to him a week later and asked how the truck drove. He said, to be honest, he didn't notice any difference. My response was "exactly."

Pennzoil did respond to my online inquiry, this was their response;

Our new Pennzoil Fully Synthetic motor oils were not formulated and tested to meet GM dexos1 gen2 specification.

Rotella Gas Truck motor oils and Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic motor oils remained to be locally available products with GM dexos1 gen2 approval.

Thanks for your interest in our product

I usually do not support(purchase) the big name brands. I don't want to support a racing team, or pay for advertising campaigns. If an oil has a legit API starburst, and has SP, SN, SM, heck even SL certification and is reasonably priced, that is the oil I will purchase. In most cases there is little to no difference between any oils with the same certifications. Avoid the oil snobbery and buy whatever is most reasonably priced.

It appears that conventional oil's are mostly going away so they created this oil to help meet a price point that's cheaper than their main lineup to help appease the crowd who use their PYB. Most likely being a FS that it will pass Dexos testing but as we all know there are costs involved to have them tested and certified and Pennzoil has obviously opted not to pay those licensing fees for this oil.

I saw it posted somewhere where they talked about it, basically it's for people that are new and want an entry level synthetic but don't want to pay those high prices and they have the upper tiers for those who want to pay for a better oil.

Last edited:
I like the Chevron Havoline ProDS boxes for GF6/SP requirements. 6qts for $19 is the smart change box everyday at Walmart.
I second this! You can’t beat the Chevron Havoline ProDS box for the price. Otherwise I’d go with ST.

Look at the ratings on the oil ! That is a dead give away of an oils basic level of performance. Look at what the oil rating the manufacture recommends in the manual.

Last edited:
QSFS imo is the best bang for the buck oil out there. ST/Kirkland FS aren’t that far behind though, especially with the low everyday Costco price. I’d use any of the 3 over PBL.

Edit: Castrol Magnatec is a good choice too, especially since you can get 2 jugs for 33.94 on the Walmart app

Last edited:
Honestly I would have no issue using this new Pennzoil for the right application, I know that PYB definitely has a following on here and they shouldn't have any qualms about it either. A lot of the manufacturers are dropping their conventional in favor of blends or full synthetics. I know in my area conventional is getting harder to find, even Tractor Supply has totally revamped their oil selection, same with Walmart but can't speak for the parts stores as their oil is way too expensive unless you can catch their sales but I buy oem parts mostly online.

The Supertech is a good oil as well, highly regarded on here especially for the money and is made by Warren who makes a lot of the in-house store branded oil. It really doesn't matter, pick whichever you fancy or with your wallet but you really can't go wrong with either one.

Back