2018 VW Golf Sportwagen tuned etc. 60.8K/QSUD Euro 5W40 3.7K OCI

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Short OCI this go around - had time, wanted it out, hard driving, whatever. Seems to have worked just fine just a bit thin for my liking is all.
18 GOLF SW-210525[33411]-page-001.jpg

That does look thinner than you'd expect. Perhaps those barely over 12 cst@100 samples were accurate.

Tons of TBN everything else looks just fine so apparently it didn't matter much.

Strong available TBN. I've always wondered how an oil thinning out affects HT/HS numbers...if at all.

Strong available TBN. I've always wondered how an oil thinning out affects HT/HS numbers...if at all.

I have read here that HTHS is thought to decrease at about half the rate of shear cst@100. Not sure what's that based on. Going by the UOA here, if the starting HTHS of QS 5w40 is 3.6 (guessing) it's now about 3.4 in this sample.

I have read here that HTHS is thought to decrease at about half the rate of shear cst@100. Not sure what's that based on. Going by the UOA here, if the starting HTHS of QS 5w40 is 3.6 (guessing) it's now about 3.4 in this sample.
Good info, thanks.

In the end, all of these oils look about the same to me in my car/predictable. Kind of just pick one and use it, they all work the same. I have the Mobil 1 FSx2 5W40 in there now and should do about 5K on it and will see how that looks but I expect 100% the same. Viscosity drop by X% with good wear metals etc.

VOA I did on this oil was 12.1 so not even a 40W to start. That's not a bad drop (8%) vs. what I have been seeing with other 5W40s that started out near 13 and drop to about that.

in warmer areas a 10W will be better than a 5W as it has less lighter oil that burns off faster. my 2001 TT 225Q at 300 hp + tq gets redline 15-50 in summer + changed yearly at summers end with red 15-40 + i see more vacuum + less consumption!!

@TiGeo - low-density base oil + lots of VII (maybe not of the best quality), and you're closer to an ILSAC 5/10W-30 than an ACEA A3/B4 5W-40. I agree, not the best. I was intrigued by this oil, not anymore. Thank you for posting.

@TiGeo - low-density base oil + lots of VII (maybe not of the best quality), and you're closer to an ILSAC 5/10W-30 than an ACEA A3/B4 5W-40. I agree, not the best. I was intrigued by this oil, not anymore. Thank you for posting.
Also keep in mind my car/engine/use - modified/2x power level turbo 1.8 beating on it with oil temps at 240 from time to time.

Also keep in mind my car/engine/use - modified/2x power level turbo 1.8 beating on it with oil temps at 240 from time to time.
Did you experience any oil consumption during this OCI? Thank you again for all the great info and UOAs.

drops 1 cst in a hard driven modified turbo car = basically a gf6 oil

you heard it here first

drops 1 cst in a hard driven modified turbo car = basically a gf6 oil

you heard it here first

There is always Red Line Oil. It might not offer better wear protection during similar circumstances. However, it stays in grade.

Still, the wear numbers are within the margin of error compared to previous OCIs on different oils. Oils are getting thinner, however, formulations are getting better when it comes to wear protection to at least compensate for the drop in viscosity, or at least so it seems.

Glad to see your wagon is wearing nicely. I gotta drive mine more, its only at like 3500 miles still!

There is always Red Line Oil. It might not offer better wear protection during similar circumstances. However, it stays in grade.

Still, the wear numbers are within the margin of error compared to previous OCIs on different oils. Oils are getting thinner, however, formulations are getting better when it comes to wear protection to at least compensate for the drop in viscosity, or at least so it seems.
Yep - no drama with wear numbers to me. Redline is interesting - why do you think it will stay in grade in my engine?

Yep - no drama with wear numbers to me. Redline is interesting - why do you think it will stay in grade in my engine?

It's a higher density synthetic oil with less VII. Redline 5W-30 and 5W-40 are their best offerings, as the rest of them are either too thick or just meh. It's a track oil, not meant for long OCI. Oxidation will go up fast, and TBN drops pretty quickly as well. Since you're already doing short OCIs, it might be worth a try. That being said, your wear numbers look normal and within margin of error from UOA to UOA, so I don't know if it's worth spending the money on that stuff. Quaker State 5W-40 did better in your car than M1 FS 0W-40, so that's something 😉👍

Back