Pennzoil 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be ok, but a CI-4/SL 15w-40 would be a much better choice.

[ October 17, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ler:
Thanks guys, I'll probably run it out to 2-3k and change it.

Now you're gonna have to decide what to use...
grin.gif

I've been thinking about that- it'll most likely be Delo, straight 30 grade. I'm curious to see how a thinner oil would fare, if I would be notice more power, less fuel consumption, etc.

Kinda curious about Rotella T Synth too, but I might wait until next summer. Then again, I could go with Delvac
confused.gif

Thanks a lot Jelly, back to square 1
smile.gif

quote:

I've been thinking about that- it'll most likely be Delo, straight 30 grade. I'm curious to see how a thinner oil would fare, if I would be notice more power, less fuel consumption, etc.

Kinda curious about Rotella T Synth too, but I might wait until next summer. Then again, I could go with Delvac
confused.gif

Thanks a lot Jelly, back to square 1
smile.gif

Hmmm, interesting choice.

But I throw this thought out to make your choice more difficult:

Although it is actually thinner than a 15w-40, the oil will not shear down at all in places such as the valve train, piston rings, and rod bearings, so you could actually notice a decrease in performance due to the thicker hydrodynamic film in certain conditions when compared to a 15w-40!

Then again, a 15w-40 is extremely shear-stable, and the thicker film under most conditions would offset any difference propsed in my little "theory".

I'd still recommend you run a HDEO 15w-40, such as Delo 400, Delvac 1300, or Pennzoil Long-Life.

But hey, life is full of choices, and you might as well experiment a little.
grin.gif

Ler,

How about asking that shop guy why he used an oil that isn't formulated for diesels? Let us know his reasoning. Maybe he has a very good reason. Maybe Pennz changed their formula, it used to be rated for both gasoline and diesel, and the latest Pennz 20W-50 isn't. I run into that same thing with guys who have some old Delo 400 40 wt. and Detroit Diesel two-stroke engines. Old Delo 400-40 used to be rated CG-4 & CF-2 or something like that. Current Delo 400-40 is not rated CF-2 (Delo 100-40 is needed). Maybe he's remembering old Pennz oil specs. Or maybe he's just seen long-term good results. In any case, I think I'd use nothing lighter than 15W-40 unless I saw good authority to use something lighter.

Ken

So asked him why and he tells me that he's had good experience with 20w-50 in the engine, and with Pennzoil in general.

I should probably believe him- he's been servicing MB's for over 30 years now, used to work on them in S. Africa, then Beverly Hills MB, then Auto Stiegler, and now his own shop. It concerns me though that he services both gasolines and diesels- it gets me thinking that rather than carry oils for each, he just gets this one and puts it in both.

BTW, the manual states that 20w-50 and SAE 30 are acceptable as long as ambient temps are above 32F.

Hoping some of you guys might be able to give me some feedback. I had my 83 MB 300TD Turbodiesel serviced yesterday, and the shop mechanic tells me he installed "Pennzoil, 20w-50". Wasn't able to tell me more. I did a quick search on Pennzoil's website and it looks like their only oil that is 20w-50 is "GT Performance", which is API SL rated.

So, what should I do? Swap it out ASAP, run it out for 1000-2000 miles then swap back to a CI-4 oil? Even though this is in SoCal, 20w-50 seems like it might be a little thick.

You should be fine for a few thousand miles. There are people that run 20W50 in their Benzes on a regular basis and don't have problems.
Remember, when that car was built, the oils were not nearly as good as they are now.

Found these from Pennzoil at AUTOPRO

Motor Oil 20W50 SH/CD
Motor Oil 25W50 SF/CC
Multi Vis/Purpose 20W50 SL/CF
Street Machine 25W50 SL/CD
GT Performance 20W50 SJ/CD
The GT performance by far the most expensive.

quote:

So asked him why and he tells me that he's had good experience with 20w-50 in the engine, and with Pennzoil in general.

I should probably believe him- he's been servicing MB's for over 30 years now, used to work on them in S. Africa, then Beverly Hills MB, then Auto Stiegler, and now his own shop. It concerns me though that he services both gasolines and diesels- it gets me thinking that rather than carry oils for each, he just gets this one and puts it in both.

BTW, the manual states that 20w-50 and SAE 30 are acceptable as long as ambient temps are above 32F.

If I serviced a lot of older MB cars in Southern California and liked Pennzoil I would put LongLife 15W-40 in all of them for the gas and diesel ratings. My mechanic specializes in German cars and uses Kendall 15W-40, except for late models that require synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back