Penn Euro or M1 esp-lowest NOACK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use Mobil1 ESP 5W30 as it has lower ash content. Noack doesn't matter, the ash content does. Oil gets on the valve stems from seeping past the valve stem seals. It happens by design and typically doesn't affect older engine designs which have fuel wash over the intake valves. The ash is left over on the valve stems which is why you want a lower ash content.

Note: My car ran like a top until I had to replace the intake manifold at 82K miles. The secondaries wouldn't open. Well know problem on the OLDER TSI 2.0. The new intake was less than $200 at a local VW dealership. Removing the intake and cleaning the valves is easy. I bet my wife could do it. After cleaning the intakes valves and replacing the intake, my car ran great again, but it didn't feel any faster or get better fuel economy.

Enjoy your Alltrack and don't worry about intake valve deposits.

Last edited:
It’s good oil, and has the certs to prove it. IMO, there is very little that different types of oil do to affect the amount of intake port and valve carbon buildup. The problem is the engine design itself. M1 ESP is also fantastic oil, but it’s hard to find and very expensive, and not capable of extended drains.

I bought my ESP 5w-30 from NAPA or Amazon. And while the price isn't as cheap as you'd find at Wal-mart etc, it's not very expensive.

Another solid option that's readily available is PP Euro L 5W-30. What does your VW spec, 502 or 504?

Technically 502. I do 5k oci so a 504 should be fine. However, euro L doesn’t meet any vw specs if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Technically 502. I do 5k oci so a 504 should be fine. However, euro L doesn’t meet any vw specs if I recall correctly.

Just checked, you’re right. 5k on a 504 oil is definitely ok. Just too bad 504 oils are so hard to come by. Motul also makes a good 504 oil (8100 x-clean+). Available on most the European parts websites. Do you know if your engine also had port fuel injectors? I know so DI engines have been adding them due to the carbon buildup issue. If so, the whole point is moot.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I would use Mobil1 ESP 5W30 as it has lower ash content. Noack doesn't matter, the ash content does. Oil gets on the valve stems from seeping past the valve stem seals. It happens by design and typically doesn't affect older engine designs which have fuel wash over the intake valves. The ash is left over on the valve stems which is why you want a lower ash content.

Note: My car ran like a top until I had to replace the intake manifold at 82K miles. The secondaries wouldn't open. Well know problem on the OLDER TSI 2.0. The new intake was less than $200 at a local VW dealership. Removing the intake and cleaning the valves is easy. I bet my wife could do it. After cleaning the intakes valves and replacing the intake, my car ran great again, but it didn't feel any faster or get better fuel economy.

Enjoy your Alltrack and don't worry about intake valve deposits.

Both are equally important in preventing CBU and especially preventing clogging DPF in diesels, hence low-ash content and lower NOACK requirements for those oils.

It doesn't state 502.00, 503.00 or 504.00 that is 5w40 or 5w30, or other grade as necessary for climate?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

It doesn't state 502.00, 503.00 or 504.00 that is 5w40 or 5w30, or other grade as necessary for climate?

VW 504.00/507.00 are only 0/5W30 grade.
Euro L does not meet any VW standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back