Peak synthetic is Dexos approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys/gals,

I was at my local PEP BOYS and noticed that this synthetic is now approved as "Dexos". Does this mean/indicated anything good about the quality of this oil??? It was only on the 5W-30 rated oil and not on any others?

Just asking:)

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Does this mean/indicated anything good about the quality of this oil???

Maybe. Although from what I've read, Dexos1 spec isn't all that stringent. It's mainly a way for GM to make money off every bottle of oil sold.

Only thing it indicates is they paid their fee to GM ,they may well only meet minimum standards.

I wouldn't say Peak motor oil is a premium motor oil compared to what is on the market. With that said, I used Supertech motor oil for years, and never had any oil related issues (I am currently running Quaker State because of the fantastic pricing). If Peak motor oil interests you, and the price is right, use it with confidence.

I like the Dexos tradeoffs over the GF-5. According to the spider chart a DexosI lubricant may not meet GF-5, interesting to see M1 meets BOTH.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I like the Dexos tradeoffs over the GF-5. According to the spider chart a DexosI lubricant may not meet GF-5, interesting to see M1 meets BOTH.

I bet it's not hard to make an oil that meets both. And, if I need to replace a cat after 100k miles, that's okay by me. A cat's easier/cheaper to replace than a turbo. And, it's an excuse for a downpipe with a repositioned cat!

True. However, has anyone seen a dexos1 oil that doesn't meet GF-5? I suppose GM could tender for an AC Delco 5w-30 that's only certified to dexos1 and nothing else, since that's GM's new standard, but I haven't heard of such an oil.

IMO....Peak, SuperTech and Quaker State oils in Synthetic and Conventional are all about the same quality for 5 to 6K runs under a non severe service OCI.

IMO.....They are all very good quality oils and good add packs....just get the best price for the one on sale or clearance......and you're set.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Durango
Does this mean/indicated anything good about the quality of this oil???

Maybe. Although from what I've read, Dexos1 spec isn't all that stringent. It's mainly a way for GM to make money off every bottle of oil sold.

That is not necessarily so. you. an find the Gf5 / dexos spider diagram somewhere on this site. Dexos 1 is superior in all but 3 Of the 11 specs measured. it is below GF5 only in: fuel mileage, emission durability and E85 emulsion retention. It is above to far above Gf5 in all the other aspects. It is better than GF4 in the 3 aspects it is lesser than GF5. In the aspects in which it is superior to GF5, it is far superior in: sludge protection, turbocharger protection, piston cleanliness, volatility and wear protection.

Last edited:
U[/quote]

True. However, has anyone seen a dexos1 oil that doesn't meet GF-5? I suppose GM could tender for an AC Delco 5w-30 that's only certified to dexos1 and nothing else, since that's GM's new standard, but I haven't heard of such an oil.

[/quote]
Absolutely... I don't think anyone would market a Dexos1 but NOT GF5 spec. oil.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

That is not necessarily so. you. an find the Gf5 / dexos spider diagram somewhere on this site. Dexos 1 is superior in all but 3 Of the 11 specs measured. it is below GF5 only in: fuel mileage, emission durability and E85 emulsion retention. It is above to far above Gf5 in all the other aspects. It is better than GF4 in the 3 aspects it is lesser than GF5. In the aspects in which it is superior to GF5, it is far superior in: sludge protection, turbocharger protection, piston cleanliness, volatility and wear protection.

Maybe so. But then I go on to Lubrizol's site and look at the spider diagrams there, and specs like GF5 look like weak sauce compared to some of the ACEA/VW/MB/BMW specs. The main aspect where GF5 is leading is fuel economy.

Thank you all for your postings. It was just a quick thought during my car shopping spree today. Currently I'm using perhaps this one last time Kendall GT1 synthetic in my Durango V-8 and although there is a distributor fairly close to me in a neighboring city I'll have to go head out there and see if I can get a continueing source for this brand in 5W-30 weight. Otherwise it's back to Mobil "Super Synthetic" for me.

Durango

Peak may not be a "Premium" name brand oil, but it IS a step up from the AAP, AZ, and ST in house oil brands. I've used ST and AAP oils in my truck, and neither one felt like Peak Conventional and Peak Synthetic do. But to each his own, My truck seems to run best on QS/Penn or Peak, so yeah.

and ive used many different brands considered far superior to Peak, including but not limited to, Castrol, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and Kendall

Some people here are so hung up on brand names without anything to back it up. We look at UOAs day after day and yet none of them really indicate that any of the API certified oils have any problems with wear. This includes even UOAs for the cheap oils. The big brand names offer you nothing more than big advertising these days. People have been brainwashed into thinking that their engines will explode or sludge up if they don't use big brand name oils.

This Peak oil was GF-5 even before it became Dexos approved (any of the bottles since they were API SN last year are also GF-5). I can't see any reason why it isn't as good as anything else out there.

Use what you want to use. In fact, Peak's only real problem is that the prices are too high to justify buying it against a more popular brand. Got to get it on sale or with a serious rebate to make it worth it (like $1.95 per qt for 5W-20 like the current Advance closeout.)

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Peak may not be a "Premium" name brand oil, but it IS a step up from the AAP, AZ, and ST in house oil brands. I've used ST and AAP oils in my truck, and neither one felt like Peak Conventional and Peak Synthetic do. But to each his own, My truck seems to run best on QS/Penn or Peak, so yeah.

I must agree!
I have only used the PEAK dino and haven't tried the synthetic yet but, I like the way the engines feels using PEAK compared to some better known oils infact. Strangly for it's price, it always makes the engines more smooth and quiet for 5K mile OCI than some of the others.

Several years ago(~ 2004-05), I bought a case of SEARS Spectrum Oil on sale/rebate and it too made the engines feel the same way. Funny thing is, I never used it again!

I haven't bought the PEAK 5W30 either since I bought the PepBoy's special(FAR) in Sept.09. Although I just finished up the last of the 30qts prior to last winter. I could have use it all up much earlier but, I was jumping around with the oils in my stash. I certainly will buy PEAK again when I need oil and it's on sale.

Last edited:

I find it strange that all these oils (priced pretty much the same as when they were SM spec) are all made SO WELL (seeing as they meet both GF-5 and Dexos) but our UOA don't show much difference in wear, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back