PEAK Global lifetime & PEAK Extended life revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ As I said, good deal then. Still curious about the Wally Peak Extended Life vs the Long Life sold at places like AZ. My guess, same stuff, different name per vendor.
21.gif

They could simplify things by consolidating all this mish-mash into one all inclusive name:

PEAK Extended Long Life Professional Global Lifetime Coolant

Kool-Aid+Man.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^ As I said, good deal then. Still curious about the Wally Peak Extended Life vs the Long Life sold at places like AZ. My guess, same stuff, different name per vendor.
21.gif

My Walmart sells both the Extended Life and the Long Life.
smirk2.gif

PEAK LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE & COOLANT
Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 90 - 97 50 ppm 50 ppm
Diethylene Glycol 111-46-6 < 5 None None
Hydrated inorganic acid, proprietary < 5 10 mg/m3 1 mg/m3
organic acid salts
Water 7732-18-5 < 4 None None

Boiling Point: 176oC (349oF)
Freeze Point: -15oC (5oF)
Specific Gravity (Water =1): 1.12
Pounds/gallon 9.3
Vapor Pressure (mm of Hg) @ 20C: Vapor Density (air=1): Not established
Water Solubility: Complete
Evaporation Rate (BuAc = 1): Nil
% Volatile By Volume: 90-97
Appearance: Amber
Odor: Mild
pH (50% Water Solution): 8.0

PEAK EXTENDED LIFE ANTIFREEZE & COOLANT
Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 90 - 97 50 ppm 50 ppm
Diethylene Glycol 111-46-6 < 5 None None
Hydrated inorganic acid, proprietary < 5 10 mg/m3 1 mg/m3
organic acid salts
Water 7732-18-5 < 4 None None

Boiling Point: 176oC (349oF)
Freeze Point: -15oC (5oF)
Specific Gravity (Water =1): 1.12
Pounds/gallon 9.3
Vapor Pressure (mm of Hg) @ 20C: Vapor Density (air=1): Not established
Water Solubility: Complete
Evaporation Rate (BuAc = 1): Nil
% Volatile By Volume: 90-97
Appearance: Orange
Odor: Mild
pH (50% Water Solution): 8.0

I am not too high on MSDS sheets but when you look at the percentages of chemicals and read the whole document on the results of testing you will see identical information. The only exception is color. One is Amber and one is Orange.

As far as I’m concerned Peak would pea in a bottle of glycol call it 10 Year MaxiLife Gold and list it as proprietary organic/inorganic ingredients.

Originally Posted By: RD400
I know I do not want orange.

So PEAK LONG LIFE = PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME ? ?
As said, NO. But, Peak LL could be the same as Peak EL. Still waiting to hear from Peak CS, which at this moment doesn't seem too solid.
21.gif

I believe that the coolant packaged inside Peak Extended Long Life, Peak Long Life, and Peak Global Lifetime bottles is identical. Why? Look at the Peak web site. The FAQ link from the Peak Long Life page points to the FAQ for Peak Global Lifetime; this "erroneous" link has been in place SINCE JUNE 2005. The Peak Extended Long Life product is not even mentioned at the Peak web site except for a stray MSDS. As far as I can tell, there has never been a separate FAQ for Peak Long Life or Peak Extended Long Life. Old World Industries is cavalier about these distinctions because the products are the same.

It is common practice for companies to market the same product under different labels and different representations (warranties, product claims).

when you email em, tell them the non-2EHA in Lifetime could be a huge selling point for them if they advertised it as such and changed their pdfs. they have a market advantage and don't even use it

Peak global lifetime is their premium coolant and carries a lifetime warranty. They don't want to advertise anything negative about 2-EHA because its in their other products.

I cannot find any reference to 2 ethyl hexanoic acid (2-EHA) with regard to Peak Long Life Coolant or Peak Extended Long Life Coolant at the Peak web sites (www.peakauto.com and http://www.peakantifreeze.com). But I did manage to find a technical discussion of the extended life antifreezes produced by Peak. See http://www.peakauto.com/tech/tech_e.html which includes the following paragraph:

Quote:

Old World Industries manufactures two extended life antifreezes. PEAK Globalâ LifeTime™ features a patented, advanced organic acid technoloy [sic] for automobiles and light-duty trucks that, with a complete flush and fill, provides a LifeTime protection guarantee - for as long as you own the vehicle. Final Chargeâ antifreeze is a red colored heavy-duty antifreeze. Because it is organic acid based, Final Charge antifreeze does not require SCAs when used in heavy-duty applications. Elimination of SCAs greatly reduces the cost and variability associated with heavy-duty cooling system maintenance.

To wit, in their technical discussion of extended life antifreeze products, Old World Industries only mentions Peak Global Lifetime and Peak Final Charge, their SCA pre-charged coolant for heavy duty diesel applications. What happened to Peak Long Life and Peak Extended Long Life? If you examine the filing dates on the MSDSs for these products, Peak Long Life was introduced a few months before Peak Global Lifetime (in 2004). Peak evidently decided that they needed a more aggressive marketing position for their extended life coolant and introduced the Peak Global Lifetime product name with a longer warranty. In the technical discussion, Old World Industries neglects to mention the marketing synonyms (Peak Long Life, Peak Extended Long Life) for Peak Global Lifetime because there are no technical differences among these products.

One more observation: on Peak's application chart, Peak Global Lifetime and Peak Long Life are recommended for EXACTLY the same set of applications, which includes essentially all recently manufactured light cars and trucks. (Many manufacturers forbid the use of 2-EHA in their vehicles so Peak Long Life cannot contain 2-EHA if Old World Industries is honestly representing their products.) In this chart, the only stated difference between Peak Global Lifetime and Peak Long Life (other than warranty) is color. Peak Global Lifetime is "amber" while Peak Long Life is "yellow". But the MSDS for Peak Long life states the the color is AMBER.

Has anyone bought bottles of the three Peak extended life antifreeze products for cars (Peak Global Lifetime, Peak Long Life and Peak Extended Long Life) and compared their appearance? I bet that they are indistinguishable.

This is like, "Who's on first." What in the world are they thinking in terms of naming these products?

Just so I can get this straight, Peak Global Lifetime, is there best product, is the traditional green and has nothing to do with Dexcool correct?

They sell this at Pep Boys, Autozone etc?

Peaks lineup is so confusing and difficult to find on store shelves, I just stick with Prestone all makes/all models- has worked fine for the last couple of years for me.

This has been discussed before they are not the same....http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1373636&fpart=2

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Peaks lineup is so confusing and difficult to find on store shelves, I just stick with Prestone all makes/all models- has worked fine for the last couple of years for me.

Is the Prestone All makes/ models a Dexcool equivalent or simply an old fashioned safe green?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Is the Prestone All makes/ models a Dexcool equivalent or simply an old fashioned safe green?
Best description would be a dex-clone. Why? Well because it's not Dexcool but it has the dreaded 2eha as an ingredient.

And, while Peak Long Life and Extended Life may be the same ( I believe they are). They are not the same as Peak Global Lifetime, gold bottle, which has NO 2eha. Long Life does, and since I believe it is the same, so does Extended Life.

Read tenderlion's post right here, it has an email response from Peak.

FWIW, I am using Prestone AM/M Extended Life (2eha) in an Altima and Tacoma with no isssue.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Best description would be a dex-clone. Why? Well because it's not Dexcool but it has the dreaded 2eha as an ingredient.

And, while Peak Long Life and Extended Life may be the same ( I believe they are). They are not the same as Peak Global Lifetime, gold bottle, which has NO 2eha. Long Life does, and since I believe it is the same, so does Extended Life.

Read tenderlion's post right here, it has an email response from Peak.

FWIW, I am using Prestone AM/M Extended Life (2eha) in an Altima and Tacoma with no isssue.

Thanks for the information. I do want to avoid that 2eha stuff. I'll either go with the Peak Global Lifetime or I'm going to convert over to Zerex G-05. Since I plan on flushing my system out anyway, it might just be an opportune time to make the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back