PEAK Global lifetime & PEAK Extended life revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
................For a full discussion of Japanese P-OAT coolant technology see the ASTM article "Coolant Development in Asia" (available at http://www.astm.org/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI100368.htm)..............

I would love to read that ASTM article, but at $25
shocked.gif
for a PDF download, it is 5X more than I am willing to pay.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: qship1996
Peaks lineup is so confusing and difficult to find on store shelves, I just stick with Prestone all makes/all models- has worked fine for the last couple of years for me.

Is the Prestone All makes/ models a Dexcool equivalent or simply an old fashioned safe green?

No need to even look at them MSDs for that- it says "2 Ethyl Hexaonates" right on the label. No way would I use it.

Quote:
Fl22 is being used by Ford in several new cars, and is sold at dealers. So yes, it is a Ford product...as they are using it and selling it.
Did they develop it? No...FL22 started with Mazda, and I haven't read anything from anyone saying Ford made FL22.

FL22 debuted in the 2005 model year in Mazda vehicles. Ford owned 30% of Mazda at the time and jointly produced many vehicles with Mazda. But Ford still used G-05 in Ford branded vehicles of Mazda origin. A few years later, Ford started using FL22 instead of G-05 under the title Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant. See http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-EngineProducts-Coolants.aspx. I wonder why.

You can find the web postings about Old World Industries false claims about FL22 by doing a web search. The original
posting appeared here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-122883.html

It has since been cited many times at coolant information sites and web forums like this one. Here are a few examples:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-122883.html
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-discussion/3501-where-can-i-buy-fl22-coolant-2.html
http://www.flex-innovations.com/coolant.htm

I used Peak Global in my Honda and the water pump looked great at 95K when I changed the timing belt, water pump etc..
I'll probably use it in my Corolla when the time comes unless I find Toyota coolant at a reasonable price. I wish I knew for sure if the Peak LongLife at WM was non 2-EHA as I would use it if it were.
I think 2-EHA should be removed from usage in coolants due to its deleterious effects on plastic gaskets.

Quote:
I think 2-EHA should be removed from usage in coolants due to its deleterious effects on plastic gaskets.
Well, it appears that Ford is now going to a 2eha based coolant and away from G-05. Apparently they will have compatible gaskets in their new vehicles. And, if you go to the auto parts stores, the dexclones dominate the shelves.

As for Peak Long Life (iirc Extended Life at wally), I operate under the assumption that it is 2eha based.

And full strength Peak Global Lifetime still remains harder to find than Waldo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
And full strength Peak Global Lifetime still remains harder to find than Waldo.

Peak Global Lifetime concentrate is available at NAPA at $14.49 a gallon.

Some people have speculated that PEAK PROFESSIONAL LIFETIME A/F that was sold at PepBoys is the same as PGL.
Do most consider this a 5 year/150K A/F rather than lifetime?

Digging up an old thread, but it seems that Old World Industries took the advice on mentioning the 2-EH. Their website now says "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"

With that claim, this sounds like pretty good stuff, a worthy replacement for my Mazda FL-22? Certainly cheaper and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it comes from the same factory.

Thoughts?

Man--I am so not going to ever, ever send my wife down to the store to pick up a jug of Peak anti-freeze...talk about confusion with all the different names for the Peak products!

Originally Posted By: Gannet167
Digging up an old thread, but it seems that Old World Industries took the advice on mentioning the 2-EH. Their website now says "Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free"

With that claim, this sounds like pretty good stuff, a worthy replacement for my Mazda FL-22? Certainly cheaper and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it comes from the same factory.

Thoughts?

Which one are you refering too? The Global or the Extended Life?
I am using both...

The GLOBAL in the '01 Lexus RX-300 &
The Ex Lf in the '06 Mazda3 and '04 Altima

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Gannet167

Thoughts?

Both my Chevys have Peak Global in them. Works great
Which one are you refering too? The Global or the Extended Life?
I am using both...

The GLOBAL in the '01 Lexus RX-300 &
The Ex Lf in the '06 Mazda3 and '04 Altima

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Man--I am so not going to ever, ever send my wife down to the store to pick up a jug of Peak anti-freeze...talk about confusion with all the different names for the Peak products!

Lol, ive been reading this stuff myself and i'm sure i might come back with the one. LOL

Quote:
....And full strength Peak Global Lifetime still remains harder to find than Waldo.

Needing to do a flush series so I actually checked the other day and the NAPA price had gone down ~$1/gal to ~$15.50/gal. The part number is PEA 00407 and while my local Napa doesn't stock it, they can get it overnight for no extra charge. For a full strength coolant safe for Asian models and others, not a bad price. And Napa is the only place I know where it can be semi-readily obtained.

Otoh, the 2eha based Peak Long Life, (Extended Life at Wally) can be easily found at places like AAP and AZ.

I'm not so sure PGL does anything better or as good as all makes Dexclone. I've seen PGL corroded up and develop rust particles that dexcool gets blamed for as bad or worse.

My position now is if you're going to pay the extra and go to the effort of finding limited available concentrate PGL, you're ahead to just get Havoline Dexcool. If you keep your cooling system full, then Havoline doesn't get corrosion. If a vehicle works fine with PGL then it'll work fine with Havoline and to a lesser extent all makes. And vice verse, if you have a problem vehicle PGL being an OAT as well will have corrosion problems too.

Bumping and old thread, but has anyone found a conclusion to this debacle?

I've searched and found little to no information on Peak Extended Life coolant. I recently did a drain and fill on two newer model Fords and would like to know if this coolant is indeed safe.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I used Peak Global in my Honda and the water pump looked great at 95K when I changed the timing belt, water pump etc..
I'll probably use it in my Corolla when the time comes unless I find Toyota coolant at a reasonable price. I wish I knew for sure if the Peak LongLife at WM was non 2-EHA as I would use it if it were.

Another "Peak Global in a Honda" guy here ('01 CR-V). It's been in there for about 3 or 4 years and less than 10k miles. Based on a visual inspection and a $5 anti-freeze tester, it's working fine. There is no cloudiness to the fluid, debris, or anything like that to indicate there's a problem. No leaks or drips. I've had to add about 3/4" to the overflow reservoir, but that's it. I bought the concentrate.

I'm happy with it. The only downside is that it was "special order" at NAPA, so I had to wait a couple of days to get it.

My second choice if I couldn't get Peak Global would be Zerex Asian.

Originally Posted By: strat81
pbm said:
I'm happy with it. The only downside is that it was "special order" at NAPA, so I had to wait a couple of days to get it.

Check your local Walgreens. Mine carries it.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: strat81
pbm said:

Check your local Walgreens. Mine carries it.

The closest Walgreens is about 35 minutes away. NAPA is a block and a half.
wink.gif

Small town living at its finest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back