.pdf to .doc converter that keeps formatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going crazy b/c one of my main responsibilities in my job I transferred to in January is to revise some 5 year planning documents. Sadly, in the 2 years that it took to fill my position, my predecessor's computer crashed and the documents in question now only exist in .pdf form. When I have exported them out of Acrobat to the various formats, I lose the formatting or every paragraph appears as a text box. Does anyone know of a way to keep the formatting either using Acrobat or some other piece of software? A google search shows some software products that claim to keep formatting but I have no experience with any of them and don't want to buy them if they don't work. But if I can't find some way to do this, I'm going to have to re-write about 2,000 pages of text, tables, and illustrations from scratch. That's fine if I have to...but I'd rather not.

I have not found a free software to do this. If the PDF contains text instead of image, I have copy/pasted and then formatted manually. I think it is possible to do with Acrobat but it's pricey.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
It's been a long while since I've buggered with either the pdf or doc formats, but this little fella looks promising: http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

Must they be converted to doc format?

PrimoPDF prints to a PDF file instead of the printer. it doesn't do the reverse.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I have not found a free software to do this. If the PDF contains text instead of image, I have copy/pasted and then formatted manually. I think it is possible to do with Acrobat but it's pricey.

I have the full version of Acrobat. It does export to various formats....But it turns every paragraph into a text box and sometimes piles several pages of text on top of itself in the space of say half a page. I can export it as text but then I lose all formatting, maps, images, hotlinks, etc. I'll take a look at some of the recommendations, though.

I had to do that few days ago in order to count how many words we have to translate.

We use PDF Converter which have a 30 day trial version to use.
I did not look to the final version (was just interested in the stats) but it seemed to keep the format correctly.
The only thing you will have to do is to read proof it as it seemed to cut the words strangely (Operation manual became Operationm anual for example).

I could have a look at the result if you want to give you more feedback, but I will have to wait at Monday as the computer is used by someone else today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back