PCV cloging up with creamy substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When even I check my pcv the d*amn thing would always be cloged up with a creamy substance. This is happening even after I replaced my cyl head and head gasket.
The breather would always stay clean though. So for a test I descided to block off the pcv and see what happens. After a good 400km trip the breather cloged up with this creamy subtance, it got so bad that it went all over the air filter. So I desided to block off the breather hole in the intake box and let the breather hose just hang off the valve cover. Will this kill my engine. I just want this car to last me another year and some.

That is what I was thinking, but the pcv system was working just fine. I had even changed the pcv valve. But the ammount of this substance is insane. I could do some serious rust proffing here. Is it still possible that the engine is still contaminated from the collant getting in the oil from before. But keep in mind that I have changed the oil 3 times in 1 month and it's still doing this.

Engine could still have contaminants in the oil pan/crankcase...was there a stop leak additive used before the head gasket replacement was done?...if so,IMO you should do 2 complete engine flushes and drop the oil pan to get the gunk out..i just finished a head gasket job where the person tried a stop leak quick fix(twice!) and you wouldn`t believe how much gunk was in there...

What you could try is to attach an air breather valve between the intake box and the valve cover breather hose...some Chryslers have this from the factory...see if this helps with the condensation...they`re about 5 bucks at Canadian Tire ect...easy 2 minute install....

I not realy sure I know what that is, can you give me more detail. Thanks

Sure..they are round shaped metal on the outside,with an inlet tube on the bottom and an outlet tube on the side,they have a filter media on the inside...they work in conjuction with the pcv for better ventilation...whereas the pcv doesn`t act as a filter for condensation, the air breather valve will...bring your breather hose with you if you decide to get one because there are 2 different sizes available....in the same section as the pcv and air filters ect....

you`ll have to cut the breather hose,and the part that comes from the valve cover,attach to the bottom of the breather valve(in),and the other half of the hose will go from the side(outlet)of the breather valve to your airbox..

Ok know I know what you are talking about, yes the breather hose that I have goes from the valve cover to a little box with a filter and then into the intake. But it get's so cloged with this substance that it goes through the filter then all over my air filter.

Ok would this hurt the engine, even if I change the oil every 3,000K
Instead of the breather hose going into the intake and feeding my engine with all this garbage, what If I just hooked up a much longer hose and let it vent behind the engine, out the car?

Exactly, possibly because there is some obstruction somewhere and crankcase fumes/pressure isn't being sucked out by the PCV system?
dunno.gif

There is always the possiliby that you have not corrected the problem you though you did?

How does the oil look?

I don't recall the make, model and year of vehicle. Could the thermostat be bad and the engine is not warming up thoroughly??.

It's a 90 2.0L sunbird. The oil in the engine looks great. I'm only seeing this crap when it leaves the valve cover.

I'm assuming you live in a cold climate and make short trips. This causes the foamy stuff you're talking about. If the engine doesn't get up to operating temp. for any length of time, not much you can do that I know of. Change oil frequently, put in a new 195 degree thermostat and make sure there are no head gasket or intake manifold coolant leaks.
cheers.gif

I have been spraying carb cleaner into the pcv when the engine is idleing to help clean the buildup. If I do that every few days will this hurt the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back