PB Blaster wins again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a (rare) success story with penetrating oil and the rust belt. Working on a 2001 Oldsmobile in the salt belt, replacing the rear lateral links (think tie rods for IRS) which are original with about 140,000 miles and every winter as a daily driver since new. Soaked the frame mounting bolts/adjusting cams in PB blaster off and on for about a week and the rod end to spindle over night and the things just came right apart. No thread galling, no cussing, no heat, barely even needed the breaker bar except all my ratchets are pretty short. Even the rod ends popped out without pickle fork or puller.

Really have yet to find a better rust penetrant!

I like Kroil better for soaking. Not so much on car rusty bolts. Kroil is a great termite repellant.

My personal list:

#1: Kroil
#2: PB Blaster
#3: (tie) Liquid Wrench, SeaFoam
#4: any ATF

Emergency use only: WD-40. :)

I was once forced to change an original rear wheel bearing on a '99 Caravan with 130k. Lived in WNY for it's whole life.

I was also forced to only use WD40. I hated life that day.

I always will soak the toes of my new yard sneakers with WD40 and let it dry out. Keeps the dew out of them when walking in wet grass.

I had never heard of the Kroil brand before being on here. So, It's really good stuff from what you guys on here think/have experienced, huh ? Best places to buy it locally (WI) or online ??

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
My personal list:

great success story thanks for sharing. I personally prefer using Deep Creep by SeaFoam. This stuff is awesome and has gotten me out of a rut when PB Blast couldnt pluse you can use it as a throttlebody cleaner. Plus it works great on cleaning the guns too!
wink.gif

Glad it work for you.

Read recently that before using any penetrant, first tap the item to break the rust bound somewhat so the penetrant can do it's job.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Glad it work for you.

Read recently that before using any penetrant, first tap the item to break the rust bound somewhat so the penetrant can do it's job.

When I cannot get a bolt loose the first thing I do is to hammer it using a drift and my trusty homemade brass hammer. A couple good raps. 99% of the time this is all you need.

PB Blaster is just ok. A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF=Best Ever! Here's the cold, hard facts from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

Funny PB Blaster story. I was cleaning up a bunch of rusty lawn mower hardware one evening with PB Blaster. Working bare handed, yeah, I know better, should have used gloves. The next morning I had a whopper of a sharp headache, sort of like a hangover (memories of younger days). I figured the solvent (PB Blaster has the odor of a wicked solvent) got into my system and gave me a "hangover". Next time, I'll use gloves.

I recently had to use a combo of PB Blaster, Kroil and heat to remove some rusted-in-place brake disks. It worked.

I've had very good results with PB Blaster.
I've found it works best if you can give it a while to soak.
I had some very rusted exhaust bolts I needed to remove to change a front y pipe, I though for sure they would all break off. I soaked it every night for the better part of a week and they came right out!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder
I had never heard of the Kroil brand before being on here. So, It's really good stuff from what you guys on here think/have experienced, huh ? Best places to buy it locally (WI) or online ??

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
My personal list:

Direct from Kano labs. Completely guaranteed, unconditionally...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back