Passat lease is almost up.

It'll be a Tiguan for me next.

The way they lease now has me ready to pull the trigger, but I'd be through my mileage in the first year...
I would be in the same boat mileage wise. The Tucson is $17k (purchase price) with everything I want. It's very hard to pass up.

Last edited:
We just got a 17 Tuscon with 10k miles for $14,500. Took it on a road trip, 31.5 mpg highway.

Wife is happy with it. Ours is 2.0L GDI, 6 speed auto. Just had a full service at the hyundai dealer (OC, rotate tires, inspection) was $55.

I'm guessing the service on the Passat is nearing $100.

I think of the Hyundai as a disposable car that I will dump when it hits 100k, but it runs good and we like it.

No manufacturer is perfect, go for the SEL if you go Tuscon.
Tuscon_Recall.jpg

No manufacturer is perfect, go for the SEL if you go Tuscon.
View attachment 49150
I completely agree. No manufacturer is without its issues.

The Value Edition with the Nu 2.0 non-turbo is my sweet spot. I know "slow". But acceleration beyond adequate is not on my top 5 list items a vehicle needs have to purchase.

Last edited:
I'd be leery of any Hyundai with a 4 cylinder, they have simply had too many problems with them and we keep hearing it's fixed after whatever year but it's not. Hyundai has replaced so many engines on their dime I wonder about their profitability if this keeps up.

They do take care of it though.

I have never seen anywhere that "the population at large have had great reliability with them" regarding the VW brand. Excellent reliability at a price comes with the Toyota RAV4, but for value almost nothing will beat your offer on a new Tucson. As a compromise, have you considered going back to the Kia Sportage?

I have never seen anywhere that "the population at large have had great reliability with them" regarding the VW brand. Excellent reliability at a price comes with the Toyota RAV4, but for value almost nothing will beat your offer on a new Tucson. As a compromise, have you looked at the Kia Sportage?
I actually had one. The deals aren't the same right now but that's a sharp looking car in my book too.

I would be in the same boat mileage wise. The Tucson is $17k (purchase price) with everything I want. It's very hard to pass up.

$17k for a brand new crossover that has everything you want? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure why you aren't at the dealer right now.

A 3 year lease will probably be $10k out of pocket for all the payments and fees with nothing to show at the end of the lease.

Two pages and no "Hyundai Hate"....remarkable. My wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL Limited (AWD) was a good $5,000.00 less than anything else in the segment-with the additional power train warranty we have yet have to use. I had one issue a year in to ownership-the power liftgate failed. The motor went bad and they had it fixed the same day under the bumper to bumper coverage.

My wife loves the car. My slush/clunk - a- matic (6 speed) Silverado is a whole other issue......

We just got a 17 Tuscon with 10k miles for $14,500. Took it on a road trip, 31.5 mpg highway.

Wife is happy with it. Ours is 2.0L GDI, 6 speed auto. Just had a full service at the hyundai dealer (OC, rotate tires, inspection) was $55.

I'm guessing the service on the Passat is nearing $100.

I think of the Hyundai as a disposable car that I will dump when it hits 100k, but it runs good and we like it.
The 3.3 in my Santa Fe is engineered for 150,000 miles. Of course it could go longer.-or not.

I had leased it with the strong desire to own but...

Thought I would keep it until this week when two issues surfaced. One being the front collision warning system initiated an emergency stop when no one or anything was in front of me. I was almost rearended with my toddler in his safety seat. The dealership has tried in vain but can't pinpoint the trouble, and it continues to display the red warning in the multi information screen from time to time.

Two - while checking for the issue, they discovered a coolant leak. Mind you, I haven't smelled a drop of coolant and my reservoir appeared to be at max. They advised it was bad enough to change the water pump.

Im considering going back to Hyundai since I've had a trouble free experience with them over the years and am particularly interested in the 2021 Tucson Value Edition with the 2.0L NA engine. The discounts are impressive since Hyundai is trying to make room on the lots for the 2022 100% redesign.

I guess my midlife crisis reintroduction to VW has been great (up to this week) but I think I may just be snakebit by the brand. I know many of you and the population at large have had great reliability with them but this quick succession of events has really spooked me.
I can empathize. My 335d, which was partly financed, was simply perfect and then with a month left of warranty the Urea system started acting up. I bought an under priced extended warranty and spent the next 6-9 months in return trips. The job out of warranty would've cost me $$ and BMW hadn't yet extended the warranty on the system.

Back