Passat lease is almost up.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I had leased it with the strong desire to own but...

Thought I would keep it until this week when two issues surfaced. One being the front collision warning system initiated an emergency stop when no one or anything was in front of me. I was almost rearended with my toddler in his safety seat. The dealership has tried in vain but can't pinpoint the trouble, and it continues to display the red warning in the multi information screen from time to time.

Two - while checking for the issue, they discovered a coolant leak. Mind you, I haven't smelled a drop of coolant and my reservoir appeared to be at max. They advised it was bad enough to change the water pump.

Im considering going back to Hyundai since I've had a trouble free experience with them over the years and am particularly interested in the 2021 Tucson Value Edition with the 2.0L NA engine. The discounts are impressive since Hyundai is trying to make room on the lots for the 2022 100% redesign.

I guess my midlife crisis reintroduction to VW has been great (up to this week) but I think I may just be snakebit by the brand. I know many of you and the population at large have had great reliability with them but this quick succession of events has really spooked me.

Last edited:
The timing of your post is interesting, as I just saw this article the other day about a Hyundai Tucson having ongoing issues with emergency braking intervention for no apparent reason:

I wouldn't blame you for walking away from the specific vehicle you have due to the problem - I would be leery as well. However, it appears the Tucson has, anecdotally, the same problem as your VW.

@fsdork thanks, yes I know about the recalls etc. These have been around during every generation of Hyundai/Kia model we've owned (5). But I like how H/K has responded. My (now gone) Kia Sportage received a lifetime shortblock warranty from them after one of those campaigns even though it passed the knock sensor test.

If you lease and have the income, I would get a car.
The base Infiniti Q50 is RWD, has 300 HP and a 7 speed automatic.
It's drive score is very high and is recommended by Consumers Reports.
It's one of the good Japanese made Nissans with a real transmission and is a drivers car.

My Passat has been trouble free from the day I bought it. Never back to the dealer for any warranty work. But..... somebody in the parking lot at our grocery hit the VW emblem HARD on the front of the car and it really screwed up the forward warning system. They found a part inside was snapped in two from the impact. I was getting a notice on the message board that the forward warning system was not working. The dealer told me this is a problem as kids go around hitting the emblems with their fists and mine was not the first to come in with this damage. You might have them check the emblem as the electronics are inside the emblem.

A coolant leak can happen to any car.

The auto safety thing is a bit scary though. I’d prefer to just have a car without it or at least have it turned off/ disconnected if possible.
Yeah, I found that you can turn it off.

If you need the space for family and enjoy good fuel economy, the Rav4 Hybrid starts at $28650 and is rated 41 city/38 highway.
I would take a hard look at one.

Check out Ari Janessian on YT where he runs the numbers for both purchase/lease on different vehicles. He runs a company called Boston Auto Consulting.

Back