Passat lease is almost up.

Awesome choice, nice pricing. A friend of mine been shopping a few months ago and specifically wanted smth not expensive but SUV. He ended up with a basic Forester for 25k even tho there was a similar Tucson available for 17k with all the same features (except for maybe xenon) Glad to see it worked out for you, def a smart move

Congratulations, wemay. $17K for that vehicle seems like an excellent deal. Did any factory incentives or loyalty bucks bring the price down like that?
They have to move the inventory fast since the 2022 model is coming. I can’t think of a better time to buy a new vehicle really

Exactly. And yes, $3500 in factory rebates plus $1500 back in loyalty credit from both, dealership and Hyundai.

They have to move the inventory fast since the 2022 model is coming. I can’t think of a better time to buy a new vehicle really
Depends on the vehicle. Pickups are in short supply and discounts are running $6,000.00 or so off sticker on pickups pushing $60,000.00 . In the past they were 12,000.00 to 15,000.00 off.

Depends on the vehicle. Pickups are in short supply and discounts are running $6,000.00 or so off sticker on pickups pushing $60,000.00 . In the past they were 12,000.00 to 15,000.00 off.
We’re talking specifically about the Tucson, not the market in general

I was at a buddies place and his brother shows up with his new Ram Classic 4x4 Regular Cab, short box with some shiny stuff and leather in it that cost him $55k out the door! I didn't want to rain on his parade, but the same truck 2 years ago would've been $35k all in after all the discounts. I'm guessing a 2018-19 Ram's are actually worth more than guys paid for them now...

I was at a buddies place and his brother shows up with his new Ram Classic 4x4 Regular Cab, short box with some shiny stuff and leather in it that cost him $55k out the door! I didn't want to rain on his parade, but the same truck 2 years ago would've been $35k all in after all the discounts. I'm guessing a 2018-19 Ram's are actually worth more than guys paid for them now...

Sir-you are correct! On both counts.

Yup, I expect you are quite right. We paid high 40's for our Sport.

Yup, I expect you are quite right. We paid high 40's for our Sport.
I think this shortbed truck and yours has a similar interior trim level? My Dad got out the door at Peel Chrysler for his 2018 crew cab V8 6 spd 4x4 for around $36k. Even today they're knocking $5k off a 2021 on top of Ram's rebates though.

I think this shortbed truck and yours has a similar interior trim level? My Dad got out the door at Peel Chrysler for his 2018 crew cab V8 6 spd 4x4 for around $36k. Even today they're knocking $5k off a 2021 on top of Ram's rebates though.

Could be? Ours is a NBS DT (not Classic) crew, has limited slip, tow package and a few other options. It's basically a Rebel without the grille and badges. Our EcoDiesel, which was a Big Horn trim (lower than Sport) was the OBS and cheaper. This truck stickered for $68K.
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 3.30.12 PM.jpg

@wemay We are looking for a full review. Is Hyundai mandating dealer oil changes in order to maintain the power train warranty? I have heard rumors that it was coming.

Hi @MParr

No, absolutely not. There is no such mandate. What's new (since 2020) is the 3year/36000 mile complimentary basic service (oil/filter change and tire rotation at your normal service schedule). My belief is they're trying to counter the bad press concerning the 2.4, 2.0T engine recalls.

Review @150 miles...
Man, the Tucson with the 2.0 non-turbo is incredibly smooth, quiet and refined. Much more so than expected. It practically glides over harsh road imperfections and handles well, not sporty...but competently.

The infotainment is as I remember in my past Sportage. Very intuitive and easy to use. Same goes for the slew of safety tech included in this Value Package.

Acceleration is the other extreme. If you're looking for a fast compact SUV (I wasn't) this IS NOT for you. It's outright slow if your coming from any of the turbo'd competitors in normal setting. In SPORT it wakes up a bit but of course, with torque now available sooner, runs out of steam at 3500 RPM.

If you're looking for a competent, very easy to live with compact suv with decent space, almost luxurious ride, tech and safety rich features, very solid build quality, nice materials (built in S.Korea), yet slow, this may be for you. If you're looking for an even sporty ride with great mpg (I only avg 23 in mostly City Dtiving so far), umm no. For me? I know this vehicle fits my priorities and lifestyle 100%. Very happy and not an ounce of remorse. That's always a good feeling.

Last edited:
@wemay I didn’t think the VW sedan was right for you. You’ve been in CUVs for a while. We are still happy with our 2019 Tiguan. It hasn’t given us a moment of trouble. It’s not real fast either. It does give us 33 mpg highway mileage. A 2019 Santa Fe Sport was our second choice. Good review!

A lot of vehicle brands are having “false alarms” with the automatic braking safety systems. It’s become a growing issues and the OEM’s are still in their infancy learning and figuring out the issue.

With that said, the Passat sounds like it gave you good service. It may not have had a coolant leak. Many dealers replace things under warranty that don’t need replacing if they can get away with it. When the shop is slow, they find ways to make money (warranty $$). If you like the Passat I would consider another VW.

Back