parts sold and fulfilled by amazon

Guess I'm lucky, never had any authenticity (or otherwise attributable to Amazon instead of the manufacturer) problem with Amazon parts, including those I bought from Amazon Warehouse as scratch 'n dent. I only buy from sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party. Then again it is not where I buy most auto parts.

I've bought brake rotors, pads, exhaust, upper intake manifold, bushings, spark plug wires, brake line, ABS sensors... I'll stop, there's no way I can remember everything, but none of it was OEM brand. I only pay that middleman markup when necessary, meaning for most wear-parts there is a quality major brand alternative that costs less than 70% of the OEM part, and sometimes it's even the same manufacturer who made it for the OEM.

I bought some counterfeit Shimano bike parts last year. They were a combination of two different models that doesn't exist in any Shimano catalog
Geez, seems like that might have been somewhat of a red flag.... 🤔

Geez, seems like that might have been somewhat of a red flag.... 🤔

I didn't know it until I got the parts. They were listed as normal Shimano parts but obviously weren't. This is very common on Amazon; they hope people will just buy based on the (fake) brand name and won't notice if the part isn't the right one.

Amazon.com is now just Ali Express with "free" shipping and video/music streaming.

Actually, I've had better luck on Aliexpress. At least you know what to expect and you don't think you are buying some genuine part.

Even if I bought a "Continental" timing belt and it came in an identical, official retail package and had numbers printed on the belt exactly the same, I still wouldn't trust it.

There are documented cases of chinese scammers buying chinese steel, cleaning off the printing, and re-printing it with german brands and markings. So you think you are buying german steel but it's actually chinese steel. The only way people find out is IF somebody cross-references the lot numbers and find out the numbers are duplicate to some other lot. What are the chances of that happening?

In my industry (semiconductor) there are well-known instances of counterfeit chips where the scammers apparently had physical access to the official packaging tools (usually in Malaysia), meaning the outward appearance of the chips was 100% accurate in every detail, literally the same plastic compound used, same leads, same everything. They even created a dummy chip made out of steel that was the right size so that if you happened to x-ray the finished part, it would still look genuine. And they sold millions of parts that looked genuine but had little pieces of steel in them and no actual chip.

When they started deprioritizing non-Prime orders I knew they were about to get ugly. They went direct from building a trusting base to 100% greed with no grace period.

I have noticed a few companies do complete 180's lately.

Oreilly's used to be a cost leader in my area, now they're the highest. I've been real impressed with NAPa lately. They went from the highest to the lowest. They typically beat Rock Auto for comparable quality when RA's pathetic shipping charges are included, and they also employ real, legitimate people instead of placeholders.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

At least for Ford parts there are actual Ford dealers who sell on Amazon. I actually avoid Amazon "sold and fulfilled" and go with reputable 3rd parties.

I have no idea if there are any for Honda on Amazon.

Here FTM states the reputable sellers he knows of on Amazon IN HIS VIDEO DESCRIPTION (and I've previously received real Motorcraft coils from AUTO PRO AMERICA which he lists) and if you haven't seen how good deep fakes have become watch it:

From my observation 99% of "Motorcraft" spark plugs on ebay are fakes. I received a set myself a couple years ago and went down the same rabbit hole..

Co-worker bought a power tool like Makita or Dewalt on Amazon and found out that it was fake when a warranty work was needed and Amazon was NOT helping at all and ignoring him. Bunch of cheats over there.
They have send me bulk batteries instead of real Energizer (as advertised with pictures) and wouldn't let me do a review and blocked me. All I was saying was that "the product doesn't match the advertised item" and they kept saying I cannot use bad language, etc. and blocked me.

I now buy tools from Home Depot or Lowe's. Same price and easy to return and real distributor of Makita and Dewalt, etc.

I buy some OE GM transmission parts off Amazon & haven't received any fakes yet, But these aren't common maintenance items like spark plugs, water pumps, & timing belts.

Summit Racing is really good as they are a authorized dealer for many brands like NGK, Denso, Aisin, AC-Delco, GM Performance, Mopar, & Ford Racing.

I also spend a ton through my local dealership parts departments.

It's a jungle out there.

@clinebarger I've had good luck buying electronics from amazon for GM applications so long as they are ACDelco also. What about hard parts for transmissions? Are the aftermarket stock style 4L80E 91-96 OD planetaries that I see on ebay junk and is it better to go with rebuilt OEM or have you had good luck? I haven't checked amazon yet. I'm tempted to just source a 91-96 core for $300 or so and roll the dice and just take out what I need to put in my 2005 core. I figure even if the early model planetary is bad and has loose .309” diameter rollers, I can just rebuild it and replace the rollers and pins and the captured bearing. I have to tear into it again anyway for some changes (rollerize the CS pocket and the forward clutch hub to pin the direct between two bearings for more stability and also install a pump "saver" plate) and I figured while I'm in there might as well convert to the 91-96 lube circuit as well so I'll grab the early output shaft with the lube hole out of the core and the other needed parts and perform the necessary modifications to convert to the superior 91-96 oiling and the other 4 parts needed to utilize the early OD planet. Sucks that GM made the change after 96 and made the oiling system worse along with the weaker OD planet which I want to say was late 2001 for that changeover?

Last edited:
They have send me bulk batteries instead of real Energizer (as advertised with pictures) and wouldn't let me do a review and blocked me. All I was saying was that "the product doesn't match the advertised item" and they kept saying I cannot use bad language, etc. and blocked me.
I had the same problem when I got a set of fenders from them for my Ranger. They shipped them loose in a big box so by the time they got to me they were all banged up. They ended up shipping me a total of 6 replacements and every one of them was messed up. I tried to leave a review about the situation and like you they blocked it. Apparently you can't leave a review about the condition you receive things only the product itself. What a joke!

Co-worker bought a power tool like Makita or Dewalt on Amazon and found out that it was fake when a warranty work was needed and Amazon was NOT helping at all and ignoring him. Bunch of cheats over there.

I now buy tools from Home Depot or Lowe's. Same price and easy to return and real distributor of Makita and Dewalt, etc.
Wow, just goes to show that’s the reason why all the comments are positive. I once had amazon send me a picture frame when I ordered a a set of torx sockets. Must have been the new kid in the warehouse that packaged that one lol

Never buy anything important from Amazon, period.

I bought some counterfeit Shimano bike parts last year. They were a combination of two different models that doesn't exist in any Shimano catalog. I left a review accordingly, with pictures, and they took it down "after verifying with the supplier". Never trust the reviews, because they take down the ones that try to warn you.

Even when I get goods that are not counterfeits, they aren't as good. I have no idea how this happens but I bought some Leviton GFCI receptacles off Amazon when they were out of stock locally. I don't think they were counterfeits and had the retail box, all the stickers, everything and looked perfect. But the failure rate was about 50%. I had to go to my local Home Depot, buy the exact same part number, and they all worked. So even when they aren't counterfeits, there is some way where QC rejects are getting mixed in or something.

Never buy anything important from Amazon. Never buy storage media from Amazon. Never buy X from Amazon...the list of things that I WILL buy from them is getting shorter and shorter.
When I used to go to China for business regularly my Chinese co-workers always had a list of stuff they wanted me to buy. One engineer wanted me to get a camera. I said, uhhh I think these are made here in China. He said to me they are, same part numbers, same box, but the camera sent to the USA has much higher quality standards than the camera made for the Chinese domestic market. That may explain what you got.

I have to say, reading some comments here, it's really given me another prospective... I haven't bought much off amazon lately, but now, nevermind car parts, even other products has me thinking twice (depending on what it is of course)

Very good read gents đź‘Ť

I buy NOTHING from Chinazon anymore, zero

Too much fake garbage, end-to-end. The only thing I’ve bought there in the last couple years were, ironically, auto parts….a 25 pack of oil drain washers for my Accord, but that is pretty hard to screw up and was the end of my Chinazon purchasing. Rockauto or dealer for the most part, fcp or pelican for the Mercedes in my sig.

The last straw for me was when my relative got fake veterinary medicine sold “by amazon,” f that place. I can’t imagine buying vitamins or something ingested from them, same goes with critical auto parts

I was pressed for time and didn't want to drive 26 miles to the Lexus dealership, so I ordered a couple of PCV valve grommets for the LS from Scamazon (two day shipping). The description and photo read, genuine OEM and the photo showed Toyota packaging.

The grommets arrived in an unlabeled plastic bag but had the same molding ID's as the original. Maybe counterfeit or maybe not. I have ordered multiples of the same parts from Toyota and they've arrived in a single package. I think these two grommets were from a broken package - or at least I like to think that's the case.

The thing with Amazon is I don't have to drive all over the place looking for what I need. Especially these days when no one has squat on the shelves. Recently, I needed a pair of 9006 bulbs. I first went to Autozone - nothing. Cast a wider net and went to Wal-Mart, and the two O'Reily in town. Found the last pair at the second O'Reily. All of these places had empty hooks in the bulb section.

Last edited:
I was pressed for time and didn't want to drive 26 miles to the Lexus dealership, so I ordered a couple of PCV valve grommets for the LS from Scamazon. The description and photo read, genuine OEM and the photo showed Toyota packaging.

The grommets arrived in an unlabeled plastic bag but had the same molding ID's as the original. Maybe counterfeit or maybe not. I have ordered multiples of the same parts from Toyota and they've arrived in a single package. I think these two grommets were from a broken package - or at least I like to think that's the case.

I've ordered other things like Dex VI, light bulbs, etc. and haven't had a bad experience yet. I think you need to pick and choose what you order wisely.

You are right. Tundra "OEM" oil filter cartridge on Amazon is very cheap and I know some who order pack of 10 or something like that and very cheap . I only buy from the dealer or have also bought Fram Ultra from store. Don't want to risk the engine for a $8 or $10 filter.

This does remind me there's a seller called the U-joint Store who sells tons of u-joints on Amazon.

I ordered (for a Polaris) u-joints he claimed were OEM Neapco. Now, maybe they were but they were in generic white boxes stamped "The U-joint Store" and there was absolutely nothing to conclusively prove they were actual Neapco

I returned them and left a review accordingly....AFAIK the review stood but the owner/manager/whatever messaged me thru Amazon berating me for saying they might be fakes. He went so far as to say he was friends with the Neapco guys (congratulations - big deal - who cares - how is this relevant?).

Very unprofessional even if he was selling actual Neapco stuff. And a true professional would explicitly state in the listing these are Neapco but will come in generic boxes....or more than that a professional wouldn't sell something in a generic box and claim it was a brand name without SOME way of proving that.....

Back