Parking Lot Idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm a student at Phoenix College and while sitting in my car waiting for the time to head to class some old pos 1986 BMW 325 pulls in next to me. After about 15 seconds he opens his door and it hits mine. I get out and see the dent and scratches in my paint. He said sorry and continued to gather his things for class, was totally not expecting me to ask for his information. We traded information and of course he didn't have his license on him (was in the mail supposedly) and his insurance card was expired. I wrote down his info and called his insurance company (some no name cheapo insurance company) and they were nice and I filed a claim, an adjuster is coming out within a couple days. I took it to 2 body shops for estimates to make sure I'm not low-balled on the repair. One is a printed estimate from a local shop for $346 and the other is a national chain body shop and he said it would be $400-500. We'll see what happens. Dents on a black car are kind of hard to photograph. Also my car is dirty from a rain storm a few days ago.

Accidents happen and I get that, that's fine. But when he was kind of brushing it off as if I wasn't going to ask for his information, I wasn't thrilled. No my car isn't a brand new show car, but you messed up my car dude! His car doesn't have that spring that holds the door in place when you open it, so it just kept on opening. There was tons of room between our cars. I have no doubt that if I wasn't in the car 10 minutes later and the guy did that he wouldn't have left a note or anything. Maybe older people are a lot more likely to do the right thing, he was about my age (20) and it's sad that I know what he would have done by shrugging it off. Why don't people do the right thing?

25irwiw.jpg

2z74ena.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why don't people do the right thing?

well just look at his car lol, apparently he doesn't know what it's like to have nice things.

you're lucky you were there when it happened.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn

well just look at his car lol, apparently he doesn't know what it's like to have nice things.

That's right. He applies his own standards to others. If someone dinged his car, he wouldn't care or even notice, and so he assumes nobody else would care either.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn

you're lucky you were there when it happened.

yep he doesn't care,
sorry for bump

wife had 2 stop into her on various occasions (how can you bump into somebody at 20 mph?).
also 2 days ago, a lady quickly backs into her, making a crease/bump (luckily just 2 inches big, but still, i just bought the car) into the front of the car, than just takes off, so no insurance exchange.
will see if cops gets her based on incomplete plate info...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Your wife won't lend her VW to you anymore.

I think is auntie...

OP, still sorry for the bump.
had to sell the elantra and had a few of those on both laterals , plus a nice "kiss" on the front left passenger side, which resulted in diminished sales value...
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, "good" neighbors and parking fellows.....

Sorry about the BMW driver. I'm especially careful not to hit any doors with my cars, including a BMW 325i that you'd probably also call an old POS. (mine has good paint though)

And sometimes when you park way away from everybody, some goof hits you at 20 mph. Years ago a friend of mine had similar happen to him waiting as you when a couple walked up to their car and the wife pocked his big ol Electra boat opening her door. Husband started up theirs and about to leave as my 240 lb pal popped his open and caved in their's. The guy kept going chewing on the wife as they went. My buddy let them go feeling about even. Hard to know if a lesson was learned, but maybe.

College is brutal, it doesn't pay to have a nice car in college.

If you have the time to file a claim pocket the money, and after school get a new car and keep it nice.

If (and hopefully it won't) this happens again in the future, it would be a wise thing to call the police when the other driver doesn't have their license and has an expired insurance card. Look forward to knowing your car will be fixed!

OP, the same sort of thing happened to my GF earlier this semester. Some girl in an older Pontiac slammed her door into her passenger side door on her Volvo as she was sitting in it. She said it sounded much worse than it really was, but it dented it nonetheless. She got out and stopped the girl who pretended nothing happened. She figured it wasn't enough to exchange info about and let it go. At least the paint didn't get chipped.. She handled it differently than I would have but it's her car.

Now (like me) she parks away from cars, in end spaces, etc where car dings would happen a bit less. People really can't drive so it's good to just park away from them.

Just got a call back from Gainsco Auto Insurance (never heard of this ghetto company) and they cancelled sending an adjuster out and are just going to send payment for 1 hours worth of buffing. I'm pis$ed off, the paint is scratched, I doubt it will buff out but regardless there's a DENT! He says to take it to a body shop and they'll bill it from there. When my dad's Duramax was bumped into in a parking lot they (Allstate, a real insurance company) sent out an adjuster. It doesn't pay to have cheap a$$ insurance. Oh well, off to the body shop it goes.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
College is brutal, it doesn't pay to have a nice car in college.

There you have it. 100% correct!

Back in the early 70's, I knew a guy who had a really sweet 911. He was sitting in a PA diner one morning when a woman drove up next to his car and slung her door into his car. He calmly walked outside, talked to the woman and then proceeded to "kick her doors in." She was so mortified, she didn't call the police. He went back inside and finished his breakfast.

Why do people not respect other people's personal property? That's a mystery to me.

Just got a call back from Gainsco Auto Insurance (never heard of this ghetto company) and they cancelled sending an adjuster out and are just going to send payment for 1 hours worth of buffing. I'm pis$ed off, the paint is scratched, I doubt it will buff out but regardless there's a DENT! He says to take it to a body shop and they'll bill it from there. When my dad's Duramax was bumped into in a parking lot they (Allstate, a real insurance company) sent out an adjuster. It doesn't pay to have cheap a$$ insurance. Oh well, off to the body shop it goes.

Why are you even speaking to the other insurance company... that's Allstates job... the company YOU PAY PREMIUMS to...you should never have to talk to the other company at all, aside from providing an accident statement. Allstate should arrange the appraisal, co-ordinate with body shop, pay body shop on completion, then simply bill the other insurance company...unless you don't carry collision... then you deal with the other company directly... and if you don't carry collision, you get what you pay for...

Some people have no concept of responsibility. This state of mind is taught in school. It's like not keeping score in a school yard baseball game because some of the students will feel bad about getting beaten. Other students will feel happy about winning. That only serves to separate them and cause some students to learn to like the idea of advancing in life because of their efforts. It's like giving someone a grade for feeling good about their effort on a test even though that could not answer any questions. It's a mind set that prepares them for a life on welfare and disability. It's an ever growing segment of the population. It's big enough now that they elected a man to the office of the President of the United States. You can't get too upset at the guy that dinged your car. After all you'll be supporting him soon enough.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Why are you even speaking to the other insurance company... that's Allstates job... the company YOU PAY PREMIUMS to...you should never have to talk to the other company at all, aside from providing an accident statement. Allstate should arrange the appraisal, co-ordinate with body shop, pay body shop on completion, then simply bill the other insurance company...unless you don't carry collision... then you deal with the other company directly... and if you don't carry collision, you get what you pay for...

My insurance company is State Farm, I called them and they said to deal with the other insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back