Parking brake shoes rusted to rotor

I went to do the rear brakes on the 2002 S60 and I couldn’t get the rotor off because the shoes appeared to be rusted to it. The rotor itself is loose and rotates 360* around the hub, but there’s something springy still holding onto it. Im assuming it’s the shoes? Rusted shoes should mean no rotation on the rotor though.

I didn’t want to damage anything, so I replaced the pads and put it back together.

Aside from just prying and pulling, is there a special way to get this apart? Thanks.

I don't really know VOLVO's.
Can you see if there is a hole(w/rubber plug) for an adjustment either in front of the rotor or on the backing plate?
This way you can back-off the P-Brake shoes by either using a flathead screwdriver or drum brake tool.
Anyway, YOUTUBE is your friend.

Good Luck,
CB

Last edited:
There's likely a ridge of material around the rotor hat that are preventing the shoes from clearing. If you can't back off a star wheel adjuster, your choices are cut the rotor apart, drive the vehicle with the parking brake on to burn away enough shoe material so they clear, or bang/pry the rotor off and break the shoe hardware in the process.

Can you see is there is a hole(w/rubber plug) for an adjustment either in front of the rotor or on the backing plate?
This way you can back-off the P-Brake shoes by either using a flathead screwdriver or drum brake tool.
Anyway, YOUTUBE is your friend.
I wasn’t able to pull it back far enough to see anything.

There's likely a ridge of material around the rotor hat that are preventing the shoes from clearing. If you can't back off a star wheel adjuster, your choices are cut the rotor apart, drive the vehicle with the parking brake on to burn away enough shoe material so they clear, or bang/pry the rotor off and break the shoe hardware in the process.
Thanks. I’m not too worried about ruining the hardware. Just something on the car and/ or isn’t in the parking brake kit. Lol.

Reactions: JTK
If it is a ridge, try rapping the ridge with a hammer, the ridge may be from rust jacking.

I went to do the rear brakes on the 2002 S60 and I couldn’t get the rotor off because the shoes appeared to be rusted to it. The rotor itself is loose and rotates 360* around the hub, but there’s something springy still holding onto it. Im assuming it’s the shoes? Rusted shoes should mean no rotation on the rotor though.

I didn’t want to damage anything, so I replaced the pads and put it back together.

Aside from just prying and pulling, is there a special way to get this apart? Thanks.
You loosen the park brake cable from the console, there is no adjuster at the shoes AFAIK. There is an adjuster mod for these and other Volvo models that makes adjusting them much easier.

Back