Parking brake issue on my pickup

I was putting the rear brakes pads together and gave the parking brake shoes a little tap with my palm to center the assembly. The lining fell off the shoe. Gently poked the other shoe and it's lining fell off also.

At this point I am thinking of just putting the new high hat rotor back on without any pads on the shoes. Hoping the shoes will stay the way I left them centered and the bare metal shoes will not rub against the new high hat rotor.

I will order new parking brake shoes and hardware. Get to it in a few weeks?

I never use the parking brake.

I don't think this is a dangerous situation?

Another idea. These are cheap pads I picked up at CarQuest while the good Akebono ones are being shipped. So I could put on old rotors and figure these pads will be ruined by the old rusty rotors. Then when I get the parking brake shoes and hardware arrive I can do everything. (New Akebono pads, new rotors, parking brake shoes and hardware).

Bottom line is I don't want the bare metal of the parking brake shoes to damage new rotor. Rotor is the most expensive part. Unsure the parking brake assembly will stay centered as I left it.

If it has rear disk brakes with a drum in the center, I would remove all the movable parts until the pads arrives.

If it has rear disk brakes with a drum in the center, I would remove all the movable parts until the pads arrives.

That is indeed what it has. I have adjusted the star wheel so shoes are all the way in. You think the bare metal parking brake shoes may shift and hit the new rotor?

I'm not sure. It's designed to readjust itself to the point the pads contact the rotor. With no pads and being backed out all the way that feature may be disabled, or not. I can't see how a scratched up parking brake hub would hurt anything, you would have to apply it then drive it for real damage. The pulling parts suggestion was mostly for peace of mind.

Last edited:
If your not engaging the parking break you should be fine, did this on a 2005 dodge ram without issue.

my 2011 fronty sv has the internal shoes for the emergency brake + even when new + adjusted its holding power is poor + inconsistent IMO

Back