"Park Outside" Recalls Are Soaring

1711050963707.jpg

I know on some Tesla packs the cells are all glued so you can't "rebuild" the pack easily but on Volt, Bolt, as well as the new Ultium stuff, I think they could do module swaps at the dealer. I read a few people in Volt FB groups who had modules replaced on their batteries under warranty vs the whole battery had quiet poor cell balance after that when read via OBD2/apps.

Depends. There have been teardowns of used packs - possibly from salvaged batteries from otherwise damaged vehicles.

But then again I've seen some photos of battery packs that are basically "potted" together. I know with BGA packaging, they call it "underfill" that basically seals the package to the board and reduces the effects of vibration.

There was the Ford cruise control switch recall a while back that was both big and inflammable.
Yep, started at least a few house fires from Ford vehicles parked in a garage that had spontaneous combustion causing significant damage to the house interior.

Yes yes there have been ICE vehicle recalls for fires starting and park outside. 96 F250 is one of them.
And plenty of EV's too.

The most important FACT is, these fires are all related to something ELECTRICAL going bad and causing the fires.

Never do you need to park a gasoline powered car outside because the gasoline is going to spontaneously combust.

The problem is ALWAYS ELECTRIC.

If you park a car or lawn mower powered by ICE, recently operated, in a garage, that has something flammable on hot exhaust parts then yes the potential is there to start fires.

Electrical is always an issue, even your house wiring.

Yes yes there have been ICE vehicle recalls for fires starting and park outside. 96 F250 is one of them.
And plenty of EV's too.

The most important FACT is, these fires are all related to something ELECTRICAL going bad and causing the fires.

Never do you need to park a gasoline powered car outside because the gasoline is going to spontaneously combust.

If you park a car or lawn mower powered by ICE, recently operated, in a garage, that has something flammable on hot exhaust parts then yes the potential is there to start fires.

It’s a recall. Just being electric isn’t a reason alone to park outside. Don’t be ridiculous. The gasoline car doesn’t just magically not have electrical components. No vehicle should be parked inside with your reasoning.

Having spent a decade as a volunteer fireman when we were still part of a township, I can tell you that cars do catch fire and burn, sometimes when they're just parked outside.
If I had an attached garage, I'd be hesitant to park our cars in it. Any fire would quickly spread into the living areas and the time that you'd have to escape is very brief.
Nothing special about EVs since I ran on fires involving many ICE cars, some of which were just parked, with no EVs at that time.

Having spent a decade as a volunteer fireman when we were still part of a township, I can tell you that cars do catch fire and burn, sometimes when they're just parked outside.
If I had an attached garage, I'd be hesitant to park our cars in it. Any fire would quickly spread into the living areas and the time that you'd have to escape is very brief.
Nothing special about EVs since I ran on fires involving many ICE cars, some of which were just parked, with no EVs at that time.
Really? Nothing special about EV's? What about spontaneously thermal runaway lithium ion batterys? And many times triggered by charging? Li batterys are something special, just do a search for fires caused by them. Even lawn and hand held power tools.

Really? Nothing special about EV's? What about spontaneously thermal runaway lithium ion batterys? And many times triggered by charging? Li batterys are something special, just do a search for fires caused by them. Even lawn and hand held power tools.
What I intended to convey is that ICE vehicles catch fire as well, even when parked. A car fire is pretty catastrophic for any vehicle and almost always results in a total loss. The only question is whether they are more or less common with EVs than is the case with conventional vehicles.
I will say that it's really easy to extinguish an ICE vehicle fire with water spray. Aqueous foam will not put out any fire that water won't. It's intended to blanket any flammable liquid spills and prevent re-ignition.

What I intended to convey is that ICE vehicles catch fire as well, even when parked. A car fire is pretty catastrophic for any vehicle and almost always results in a total loss. The only question is whether they are more or less common with EVs than is the case with conventional vehicles.
I will say that it's really easy to extinguish an ICE vehicle fire with water spray. Aqueous foam will not put out any fire that water won't. It's intended to blanket any flammable liquid spills and prevent re-ignition.
If you read what I said, that is what I also have mentioned about ICE car fires, but it is most always caused by an electrical issue.

If you read what I said, that is what I also have mentioned about ICE car fires, but it is most always caused by an electrical issue.
This is what you wrote in the post that I replied to:

Nothing in your post about ICE car fires, which are often caused by fuel leaks, not almost always by electrical issues.

Nothing in your post about ICE car fires, which are often caused by fuel leaks, not almost always by electrical issues.
New car fires tend to be electrical failures for sure followed by poor routing of fuel lines in engine bays. I’ve now owned two vehicles that were known for rupturing fuel lines on engine covers because they did not use braided lines near the sharp area where it went through the cover.

My observations in our area are nobody parks in their garage, its full of junk that you couldn't get $100 for at a yard sale.
so where are all these garage users?

My observations in our area are nobody parks in their garage, its full of junk that you couldn't get $100 for at a yard sale.
so where are all these garage users?
I don't see that here, but I recall being younger before I bought my first house seeing that a lot and I was determined as a car guy to actually get my vehicles in out of the elements once I had a garage. I saw it as a garage was a place to park cars and if I was going to plunk my hard earned money down on a property with a garage I was going to use it for that purpose. I feel better about having the outlet for the car inside away from the elements anyway now that we own an EV.

That is because you didn't scroll up to my post that is in the #25 position above.

My ex years ago, had a massive gas leak in her 74 mopar that she drove home for many miles. It was spraying all over the engine a Slant 6.
No fire ! Just lucky no sparks or flames, because that is all that will light up gasoline. I would have stopped immediately smelling that, not her. If a car she drove lasted it was a good car.

Last edited:
And plenty of EV's too.

What about hot Exhaustgasses? 🤣

That is because you didn't scroll up to my post that is in the #25 position above.
In that post you contradict yourself.
You state that vehicle fires always have an electrical cause, but then you later state that "something flammable leaking on hot exhaust parts" could cause a fire as well.

Back