Papa Murphy's pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for Papa Murphy's. Too expensive when I have to use my own gas and put in more labor after I pick it up. Plus, it's just not very good pizza.

I have an amazing pizza joint 3 blocks from me that delivers for free. $25 with tip for a large think crust and a pound of rib tips. Mouth watering rib tips. All delivered to my door in 30 minutes, no labor required.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Reality time.
Most people want a pizza baked, not one you pay top dollar for and gotta bake it yourself. Real pizza ovens used at pizza shops are better than what you and I have in our kitchen.

This.

The problem around here is most people order pizza because they are already baked and can deliver. If they want to cook at home there's always other stuff they can eat instead of pizza.

People are willing to pay for good pizza, like Mod's, Mountain Mikes, Pizza My Heart, and then there's Zume (that robotic pizza truck that bake on the truck). Going to a store front then bring it home to bake is a no go here.

Then we have those brick oven wood fire personal size pizza that the snobs brag about.

Personally, I've had enough free pizza from work whenever we work overtime or over lunch meeting, that I'm kind of sick of even Mountain Mike's (as good if not better than Papa Murphy's) already. I usually stay away from pizza whenever I can.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with the idea of Papa Murphy's being an unbaked pizza you have to pay "top dollar" for...we had a Papa Murphy's near me for several years and the draw was that they had revolving specials where a large could be had for $10-$11 dollars which is 40% cheaper than the average large pizza here. No skin off the average heinie to save that cash and drive a mile or so to pick up a pizza that you had to bake. It's gone now but it was usually pretty good...somewhere between Dominoes/Papa John's and the best pizza places in town.

I thought you lived in Greater Cleveland?
Anyway, if one has to actually bake the pie himself, any grocery has some very good frozen pizzas as well as some very good refrigerated ones.
Why would anyone pay more for a gimmick franchise pie they still have to bake?
A major part of the appeal of delivered or take-out pizza is that one can avoid heating up the kitchen in really hot weather, like what we're seeing right now as well as having something ready to eat on a late night getting home from work.
This advantage is lost with take-out you have to bake at home pizza.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A major part of the appeal of delivered or take-out pizza is that one can avoid heating up the kitchen in really hot weather, like what we're seeing right now as well as having something ready to eat on a late night getting home from work.
This advantage is lost with take-out you have to bake at home pizza.

This is also the reason why the "meal kit" startup scene will flop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: old1
We have one here, and Like them, and they seem pretty busy, but we usually opt for Godfathers pizza

Godfathers is good too. Their taco pizza is the best I've ever had, but there's just something about pulling that freshly baked Papa Murphy's pizza out of your own oven...

Casey's taco pizza is hard to beat but we have a local place that makes the best taco pizza ever.

Reality time.
Most people want a pizza baked, not one you pay top dollar for and gotta bake it yourself. Real pizza ovens used at pizza shops are better than what you and I have in our kitchen.

X2. I like my pizza done. We have Papa Murphy's here, but I'd rather go to Salvatore's and get a done pizza that's awesome for about the same price.

My wife and I like it as well! It is more of a winter tradition on Friday nights, as we don't like to turn the oven on while the A/C is running.

We've had Papa Murphy's pizza a few times and find it to be above par compared to other delivery pizza. We avoid restaurants but it's nice to have someone else do the work occasionally, seriously how hard is it to put a pizza in the oven? Price wise they always have specials online that make them competitive.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I don't know how many of you have had this take-n-bake pizza, but it truly is one of the best pizzas I've ever had. However, people in the Dayton, OH area don't seem to get this. At one time we had 3 PMs in the Dayton area, and they're all closed now because they apparently didn't do enough business there. How all of these places don't have lines going out the door is beyond me. Do you have them in your local area, and if so, are they busy?

It sounds like there were too many franchises for the area. No matter how good a place is, there is a limit to how many locations within a certain locality. Your local economy plays are part as well.

That said, Papa Murphys is good pizza. I’ve enjoyed it many times.

That doesn't explain why they all closed...I could see one of two of them closing, but all of them? That doesn't make sense.

Reality time.

Top dollar? You can get a family size pizza at PMs for $15. A pizza like that from a place that cooks them, and one that's as good as a PMs (if you can find one) will be $25-$30. PMs pizzas come out of my oven at least as good as anyone's pizza, and better than most...and a person's really gotta be pretty lazy if they can't remove a wrapper and stick the pizza in the oven for 15 minutes...

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I don't care for Papa Murphy's. Too expensive when I have to use my own gas and put in more labor after I pick it up. Plus, it's just not very good pizza.

I have an amazing pizza joint 3 blocks from me that delivers for free. $25 with tip for a large think crust and a pound of rib tips. Mouth watering rib tips. All delivered to my door in 30 minutes, no labor required.

You either ordered the wrong pizza, or you didn't cook it right...I find PM's pizzas to be as good as anybody's...

There isn't one by the apartment - but my parents live near a Papa Murphy's. I'll go there when I can't make it to Costco or the Cheeseboard/Arizmendi for pizza.

Reality time.

Top dollar? You can get a family size pizza at PMs for $15. A pizza like that from a place that cooks them, and one that's as good as a PMs (if you can find one) will be $25-$30. PMs pizzas come out of my oven at least as good as anyone's pizza, and better than most...and a person's really gotta be pretty lazy if they can't remove a wrapper and stick the pizza in the oven for 15 minutes...

As I noted above, you can buy frozen or refrigerated pies that are at least as good from any grocery for less than half the cost.
The whole point of takeout is that you don't have to do the actual work and heat up your actual kitchen.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Reality time.

As I noted above, you can buy frozen or refrigerated pies that are at least as good from any grocery for less than half the cost.
The whole point of takeout is that you don't have to do the actual work and heat up your actual kitchen.

I respectfully disagree. I've yet to have any frozen or grocery store deli pizza that even remotely compares to a PMs pizza. For one thing, it isn't frozen, it's fresh. That makes a difference. For another thing, to get a frozen pizza the size of one family size PM pizza, you'd have to buy two of them...

Last edited:
You're not going to change any minds grampi. The PM shops in our old town and new town are always busy so it's a successful business model. People wouldn't be buying so-so pizza when they have to go to all the trouble of putting it in the oven.

I don't know how many of you have had this take-n-bake pizza, but it truly is one of the best pizzas I've ever had. However, people in the Dayton, OH area don't seem to get this. At one time we had 3 PMs in the Dayton area, and they're all closed now because they apparently didn't do enough business there. How all of these places don't have lines going out the door is beyond me. Do you have them in your local area, and if so, are they busy?

It sounds like there were too many franchises for the area. No matter how good a place is, there is a limit to how many locations within a certain locality. Your local economy plays are part as well.

That doesn't explain why they all closed...I could see one of two of them closing, but all of them? That doesn't make sense.

Happens all the time. Look at Toysrus, I'm sure not all the stores were losing money, but when the chain goes out of business, all the stores close, even the ones that were making money. So even if one or two out of the 3 were making money, when the franchisee goes out of business, they all have to close.

We have way too many good pizza places on Long Island to bother with chain restaurant pizza. The best of the best is this place ten minutes from my house called The Pie at Salvatore's. They serve a classic Neapolitan pie with a paper thin crust, sauce with crushed tomatoes in it, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. They don't serve slices and cash only.
Another place, literally forty seconds from my house makes a great pie but I always have to remember to ask for it to be slightly well done. Their normal cook time is about a minute and a half too short in my opinion.

One thing that bothers me to no end is I work in Hells Kitchen in NYC. There is no good pizza within walking distance of my job.

And we do not have Papa Murphy's. We do have a place called Mama Kelly's that makes a truly delicious white pie with creamed spinach on it. sounds odd but it's really good.

Last edited:
Don't you have $1 pizza slices in NY though? Last time I was there I tried it. It's not that bad for $1. They sell so much, it's usually just fresh out of the oven.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Happens all the time. Look at Toysrus, I'm sure not all the stores were losing money, but when the chain goes out of business, all the stores close, even the ones that were making money. So even if one or two out of the 3 were making money, when the franchisee goes out of business, they all have to close.

But the franchise didn't go under. Papa Murphy's is alive and well, just not in Dayton, OH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back