Papa Murphy's pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi

But the franchise didn't go under. Papa Murphy's is alive and well, just not in Dayton, OH...

Don't confuse the franchise, with the corporation.

franchisees pay the corporation a fee to use their IP to do business.

as an example, My local McDonald's are owned and operated by a franchise. his employees work for Speedy Arches Inc, which thanks to their franchise agreement with the McDonald's Corporation can Do Business as McDonald's.

it could be that your local franchisee went out of business. happens for all sorts of reasons...financial mismanagement, perhaps they just wanted to retire and couldn't find a buyer....

a few years back our Local KFC franchise closed up suddenly, the owner was making too many waves, and the corporation pulled his License. he was no longer able to use any KFC IP(Names, recipes, logos, etc.)
year or two later, the store got remodeled and reopened as a Corporately owned KFC Location.

the swifty gas station chain closed up shop a couple years back. The owner passed, and his heirs wanted nothing to do with the business, and failed to locate a buyer....

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Don't you have $1 pizza slices in NY though? Last time I was there I tried it. It's not that bad for $1. They sell so much, it's usually just fresh out of the oven.

Yeah, there's still some dollar slices around, mostly close to high schools and stuff like that. Now, the big thing is two slices and a drink for 5 bucks.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Don't you have $1 pizza slices in NY though? Last time I was there I tried it. It's not that bad for $1. They sell so much, it's usually just fresh out of the oven.

Yeah, there's still some dollar slices around, mostly close to high schools and stuff like that. Now, the big thing is two slices and a drink for 5 bucks.

Sounds like a great deal for $5

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

That's not bad, but we have places like that around here, just the normal lunch special. There's really no place around here that's $1 though. I think the cheapest is $1.50 and that's horrible, worse than the $1 NY ones.

I never had a Papa Murphy's pizza. I don't think I have seen this chain here. Golden Boy Pizza for thicker crust pan style or Tony's in North Beach for thin crust pizza are my top choices. I also really like Tommaso's seasonally available porcini pizza, also in North Beach.

Grew up in Jersey so am kind of a Pizza Snob.

Been a long time since I had Papa Murphys, up in Oregon sometime around 2004, but I recall liking it, and being able to cook it as I like it, tweaking over temperature and duration it was inside yielded even better results.

The hard part was no Instant gratification upon seeing a pizza box.

I could inhale some right now.

But the franchise didn't go under. Papa Murphy's is alive and well, just not in Dayton, OH...

Same for Regina.
wink.gif
I never even got the change to try it. However, the pizza market here is very, very competitive. You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a pizza restaurant.

Originally Posted By: Rusty9
Can't be better than Godfathers, but I'd give it a shot!

WhAt? your Godfathers must be better than ours...
The last time i went to our Godfather's it was 1/2 a step above garbage.
I'll take Little Ceaser's over our Godfather's any day of the week.

IMO, the only reason the Godfathers here is even still in business, it the inexpensive lunch buffet.
we don't have a CiCi's. Godfather's is pretty much the only place around here that even has a Pizza buffet.

unless you count the bowling alley, but the last time i had their buffet, it was CLEARLY either a Jack's, or Tombstone from the grocery freezer case.

the El-cheapo shrink wrapped on a cardboard disc pizza.

Haha! The ONLY time I've ever had Either Papa John's or Little Caesar's, can't remember which one it was, there was a commercial on tv for a pizza with a bacon wrapped crust and a two fer deal. We were being silly more than anything but we drove to the ghetto town where the closest one was and picked up two. My wife was horrified.
The first slice was kinda good but after that, it wasn't fun anymore. I think my son and I probably had half of one of the pies. My stepson came over for dinner a short time after and sucked down the entire other pizza by himself. Then, he called his sister and his grandparents and complained that we "made him eat Little Caesar's".
Yeah... Made him eat it. He walks in here regularly with bad fast food.

Depends on which Godfather's pizza you're talking about. Their taco pizza is unrivaled by anyone, but PMs Cowboy pizza is as good as any other Godfather's pizza...

Originally Posted By: earlyre

WhAt? your Godfathers must be better than ours...
The last time i went to our Godfather's it was 1/2 a step above garbage.
I'll take Little Ceaser's over our Godfather's any day of the week.

IMO, the only reason the Godfathers here is even still in business, it the inexpensive lunch buffet.
we don't have a CiCi's. Godfather's is pretty much the only place around here that even has a Pizza buffet.

unless you count the bowling alley, but the last time i had their buffet, it was CLEARLY either a Jack's, or Tombstone from the grocery freezer case.

the El-cheapo shrink wrapped on a cardboard disc pizza.

Your Godfather's must be really bad. Our's has really good pizza, but I think PM's is just as good except for the taco pizza...nobody can touch Godfather's in that respect...

I respectfully disagree. I've yet to have any frozen or grocery store deli pizza that even remotely compares to a PMs pizza. For one thing, it isn't frozen, it's fresh. That makes a difference. For another thing, to get a frozen pizza the size of one family size PM pizza, you'd have to buy two of them...

My $ is betting on most pizza order is delivered to work place or non primary resident. People buy pizza to mark off a "we provide food" on social gathering or business function (training, customer function, fund raising, baby shower, etc).

Having to spend labor to cook a pizza is going to cost more than $10 each, and I haven't add the energy cost yet (probably $1). You also need to remember when you want to cook 20 pizza at a time, it is going to be hard to find a big enough oven, people to bake them, move them from store to the place, etc.

Pizza is cheap, amateur labor to cook them is not. If you really want cheap not too bad pizza on a regular basis, there's Costco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Sounds like a great deal for $5

Last time I got a slice and a T-Shirt for $7, not too bad either.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I respectfully disagree. I've yet to have any frozen or grocery store deli pizza that even remotely compares to a PMs pizza. For one thing, it isn't frozen, it's fresh. That makes a difference. For another thing, to get a frozen pizza the size of one family size PM pizza, you'd have to buy two of them...

My $ is betting on most pizza order is delivered to work place or non primary resident. People buy pizza to mark off a "we provide food" on social gathering or business function (training, customer function, fund raising, baby shower, etc).

Having to spend labor to cook a pizza is going to cost more than $10 each, and I haven't add the energy cost yet (probably $1). You also need to remember when you want to cook 20 pizza at a time, it is going to be hard to find a big enough oven, people to bake them, move them from store to the place, etc.

Pizza is cheap, amateur labor to cook them is not. If you really want cheap not too bad pizza on a regular basis, there's Costco.

Yeah, Costco sells a lot of pizza and hot dogs. I think someone claimed that Costco would be #11 in terms of sales if they were called a Pizza chain. I'm actually surprised to see people buy whole pizzas there, sometimes even a few people buying whole pizzas for takeout.

Yeah, Costco sells a lot of pizza and hot dogs. I think someone claimed that Costco would be #11 in terms of sales if they were called a Pizza chain. I'm actually surprised to see people buy whole pizzas there, sometimes even a few people buying whole pizzas for takeout.

I can't believe it when I see people leaving Costco with a pie. That stuff is pizza in the loosest sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back