Pao/Dino Blend Brew: You pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Greg,read the last three words of my post,,,then factor in the fact that it's because I can
grin.gif
. No naysayers! Please!

You are my hero!

I'm kinda doing the same as we speak (you might remember) 50-50 M1 10W30/15W50.....so far so good....mileage still the same and so is HP (ran a [email protected] on a basically stock engine)
Keep us posted, Rick

Rick will you be doing oil analysis on this? I'm dying to see an LS1 with this oil mixture run an analysis. A lot of guys are running this mixture to cut down on oil burning and piston slap. And it seems to work too.

I confess. I have mixed 4qts Castrol GTX with 1 qt Castrol Syntec in past fills. After running the mix up to 5K miles, I honestly couldn't tell any difference in engine cleanliness or performance. At the time, I was taken in with the Syntec advertising. My thoughts were that the Syntec would clean, and "cling to cylinder walls".....
dunno.gif

Are there any areas in which dino oil is actually better than syn? (Other than price)

TooSlick,

Congrats on your Sponsorship and may your rocket engines always fire at Tee-minus-Threeee seconds.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

Of course you could always run the schaeffers S7000, 15w-40, which is about 1/3 synthetic to begin with,
wink.gif

TooSlick

Dragboat,

I'm not a nay-sayer, but I do think it would be easier to use Schaeffer's. (Unless you don't like Schaeffer's). Ease of use is of value to me. If you don't pay shipping you're looking at $2.50-2.75 per quart.

Are you going to put anything cool in it like oil extreme or schaeffer EP additive?

I hope your mixtures are successful.

Dragboat does use Schaeffer oil in one or more of his vehicles, I think what he's looking to do here is try something a little bit different, just out of curiosity.

He's a lot like me in many ways, he's always curious as to what different combinations will do.

I would use Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 15w40 for the dino portion. Valvoline "Blue"?? 15w40 looks good too.

The good FM's in the PAO oils and the high detergency/TBN of the HD oils may be a good balance for a long interval. Or it may make a mess. Dunno.

fruit.gif
or
crushedcar.gif

I'm thinking of doing something similar (only because I have some M1 5w30 lying around and wish I didn't) I may mix in some 15w40 just to get better wear numbers in my Windstar. 3-4K drains are planned.

Dragboat,

Do you have a target HTHS in mind. I think many engines will do better on an oil with a decent HTHS. 3.5 seems to be good goal to ensure good wear numbers in harsh conditions. M1 5w30, for example, seems to have a spotty track record and it may be due to low HTHS and shearing. What parameters do you think will be good to meet with your mixture?

offtopic.gif
After the M1 5w30 is gone I'd like to use 10w30 or 15w40. M1 is not out of the question but I will probably look to something cheaper for this car. I think my 122K Windstar would benefit from thicker oils to extend engine life.

My camry is another story. I hope UOA with Schaeffer blend 5w30 shows good numbers. I have more confidence in their 5w30. I like the idea of using a stouter 5w30 (even if part dino) and using Schaeffer neutra or Auto-Rx once in a while to keep the engine clean.

[ February 15, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Molecule,

I don't recommend mixing different brands of oils as a matter of general practice. If I wanted to use a blend in a high mileage engine, it would be the Amsoil 15w-40 synblend - "PCO". My thoughts about dumping in off the shelf oil additives still stand.
frown.gif

Tooslick

Dragboat,

C'mon--give us some more info on what is most important in the finished product.

HTHS, low VII, PAO/Ester content?

I think a good PAO and 10w30 or 15w40 "mix" would be strong and suitably cleaned by a "purging" chemical every 2 or 3 changes.

Patman,

If you run a synthetic that has some ester in it, I don't think the AutoRX is necessary. To beef up a dino oil, it might be worthwhile ....

Ted

Ted, I'm running it with Schaeffer Supreme 7000, which to the best of my knowledge does not have esters in it.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Molecule,

I don't recommend mixing different brands of oils as a matter of general practice. If I wanted to use a blend in a high mileage engine, it would be the Amsoil 15w-40 synblend - "PCO". My thoughts about dumping in off the shelf oil additives still stand.
frown.gif

Tooslick

Do you include the 3oz Auto-rx maintenance dose in this too? That is one additive I feel totally safe using.

dunno.gif
I wondered if anyone has had any results with oil extream. What catagory would it fall under and is their concentrate good as a additive. Just wondering.

Earlier in this post Scooter mentions using a synthetic with a Lubrizol additive package. Can anyone list who makes the additive package for the various synthetics. If anyone knows who made the packages for the PAO's that are no longer being sold I'd like to know because i have done the 25-30% experiment many times over the years.(apparently with no ill effects.) Thanks.

Would not a 50/50 blend increase your chances of sucess? It would also make mixing easier on a 4 quart sump the 30% does.

On the dino oil front if sucess is what you are after then go with a known winner like Delo,Delvac 1300S, Delvac 1330, Chevron Supreme, Havoline or maybe Pensoil Long Life. If you do not car then go with Walmart brand $.84 cents a quart oil. If you really want a wild card use some TSC Tracto Supply Center Travel Master Brand oil! No one on this site has used Travel Master as far as I know!

My father is about 2,000km into a 10,000km change interval in his Pulsar.

It's got 280,000km. 270,000 on M1 5W-50, and 10,000 on Delvac 1.

Now it's suffering in non-engine related areas, so he's running 2 litres of Delvac 1, with 3 ltires of Pennz Long Life.

I think if I was going to mix a dino and a synthetic I'd try to choose oils that had a similar additive package. IOW, don't mix something like Delvac 1 or Rotella synthetic with a friction modified oil that contains moly like Pennzoil or Castrol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back