Palisade Oil Filter

My failed attempt at changing the wife's oil filter on her Palisade '22 (7,000 miles).

I thought I could just breeze in to Walmart, get a Fram, and be done with it. According to Fram, it calls for an 11934 (canister).
But, it is too short and doesn't have a nipple on the end that sets into the housing with a quarter turn like the OEM one has.
I had to put it back together with old one and replace about 3 quarts of oil that drained out from the housing. Also, I had to remove the wheel because the threads on the plastic housing were cross threading and I guess I didn't have the right angle no matter how hard I tried. With the wheel removed it made it much easier.

I told her to take the heap to the dealer and have them deal with it.

Anyone with this car actually do an oil change on it? Which Fram is correct? To screw on the housing cap is it a matter of getting the angle correct or does it require a lot of force for it to get a bit on the threads? Thanks.

Suspect it’s the angle…shouldn’t need force to get a filter started.
With the access issue, sounds like this vehicle would be a good candidate for changing the filter ever other oil change. Use one of the high mileage rated (20K) filers, as you suggest the Fram Ultra.

Same vehicle. I bought a couple of these STP filters (S11934) at Autozone and will be changing the oil soon. I couldn't find anything from FRAM....

20220401_105259.jpg
20220401_105320.jpg
20220401_105334.jpg
20220401_105344.jpg
20220401_105412.jpg

It doesn't look very difficult from these videos. I'm not understanding why you needed to remove a wheel? I hope it works out better next time.

Last edited:
Ok but the 11934 is too short and doesn't have the nipple on it. The "nipple" looks like the 9018 one used on cobalt and cavaliers. It has the 3.8 engine. Maybe they updated fo r 22. Could be wrong box too.

From the second video: "Maybe I'm doing this wrong. Maybe I should put the filter in the cap?" Followed by no mention of O-ring or drain plug seal.
So glad anyone can make and post a video.

And the first one being >17 minutes.....c'mon people.
Let's employ editing, camera stands and a modicum of organization (scripting).....you think we'd've evolved from the shaky hand cam thing by now.

I really don't know what the issue is unless as you mentioned, they'veu updated it. I just changed the oil for the first time and it was straight forward. Filter (XG11934) is the same size and construction as the factory one. No nipple and didn't have to remove the wheel. Can you show us the filter when you get the change done? Here are images of what I did this morning...
20220514_102704.jpg
20220514_102942.jpg
20220514_102952.jpg
20220514_103130.jpg
20220514_103808.jpg
20220514_103817.jpg

20220514_092535.jpg

Last edited:
Ok but the 11934 is too short and doesn't have the nipple on it. The "nipple" looks like the 9018 one used on cobalt and cavaliers. It has the 3.8 engine. Maybe they updated fo r 22. Could be wrong box too.
The filter model number should be on the end cap. Verify the filter and box match.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. However, no pics from me which would have been helpful, but that ship has sailed.

To reiterate though, it most definitely had a nipple which was on the periphery, not center and seems to me some sort of guide which sits in a groove and stops with a quarter turn or so. The 11934 is too short. Can't remember by how much, but it was not fractional. I'll add here that since others have used the 11934 successfully then what I call too short evidently doesn't matter. (I have since checked other 11934 Frams at WM and they look the same.) If I am ever allowed to touch her car again, I will try once more the 11934 and take my time to see if the size deficit matters and I guess the "guide post" doesn't matter (?).

She took it to the dealer but is mad and won't show the receipt to me :giggle:. When she cools down I'll see what they used.

I really don't know what the issue is unless as you mentioned, they'veu updated it. I just changed the oil for the first time and it was straight forward. Filter (XG11934) is the same size and construction as the factory one. No nipple and didn't have to remove the wheel. Can you show us the filter when you get the change done? Here are images of what I did this morning...View attachment 99860View attachment 99861View attachment 99862View attachment 99863View attachment 99864View attachment 99865
View attachment 99884
I'm just amazed they put a plastic cartridge cover on the BOTTOM FRONT of an engine like that! One rock, it's all over. Don't drive on any gravel roads or behind any trucks with one of those!

I'm just amazed they put a plastic cartridge cover on the BOTTOM FRONT of an engine like that! One rock, it's all over. Don't drive on any gravel roads or behind any trucks with one of those!
It's actually higher up than it appears in the photos and is also protected by a thick plastic cover.

20220514_103130.jpg

Attachments

• 20220514_103130.jpg
    20220514_103130.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 3
That plastic housing is also at least as tough as the average metal can. It's probably 30% nylon reinforced.

Anything that breaks or damages it would also crush or puncture a "normal" oil filter.

Even though you probably never will be allowed again to touch the car take the vin to the dealer and see what the correct filter looks like. In case they made two kinds or something. Most likely someone did a filter swap at WM like has been suggested? You can’t see the receipt so that’s over.
When putting in a threaded part sometimes it helps to turn it backward to catch the first thread, then proceed to thread in. It shouldn’t require abnormal force.

Back