Colorado/Canyon Oil Filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am buying a new GMC Canyon with the 3.6L engine. This engine has one of those canister type oil filters.

The Fram CH10246 is widely available and I can get a 12 pack for $33 shipped to my house.

My question is, are they good oil filters in the canister realm? Are most canister filters about the same? I does not look like you have to worry about paper end caps, poor drainback valves, what kind of gasket the filter uses, just the media.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I am buying a new GMC Canyon with the 3.6L engine. This engine has one of those canister type oil filters.

The Fram CH10246 is widely available and I can get a 12 pack for $33 shipped to my house.

My question is, are they good oil filters in the canister realm? Are most canister filters about the same? I does not look like you have to worry about paper end caps, poor drainback valves, what kind of gasket the filter uses, just the media.

Thanks.

I found AC Delco at Rock Auto … said made by Hengst …
If your AC Delco is made by Hengst … that’s good … I have been able to find Hengst on eBay for our Cruze …

Filter doesn't matter so much on these. The new 3.6's with plastic tops take the same filter as the 1.8/1.4L ecotec in Chevy Sonics. There is a known issue with the black plastic center tube in the middle of the oil filter housing on the trucks. Be very gentle with it - if it comes out with the filter, then you are in for a headache.

I have always snapped the little collets into the cap and then stab in receptacle

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I found AC Delco at Rock Auto … said made by Hengst …
If your AC Delco is made by Hengst … that’s good … I have been able to find Hengst on eBay for our Cruze …

X2....Use the Delco or Hengst filters, The 3.6L was designed/engineered in Europe & most of the OE parts are made in Germany.....Just like the 1.4L Turbo.

Easy way to tell that your GM engine has Opel/Vauxhall lineage......Gratuitous use of E-Torx fasteners!

They must have changed these in 2017 when they revised the 3.6L. My 2016 Colorado 3.6L filter does not look like that. OEM AC Delco number for mine is PF2130 (or PF2129).

The picture I posted was to show the collets … someone else mentioned the part number … think this is my Cruze filter

Originally Posted By: novadude
They must have changed these in 2017 when they revised the 3.6L. My 2016 Colorado 3.6L filter does not look like that. OEM AC Delco number for mine is PF2130 (or PF2129).
GM put a redesigned 3.6 V6 in the Colorado/Canyon beginning in 2017. And yes, it uses a different filter than the previous 3.6. It is a canister filter that is accessed from the top of the engine.

My 2016 Colorado 3.6L also has a canister filter accessed from the top, but it must be a different filter that 2017-up, as there are no plastic tabs.

My 2016 Colorado 3.6L also has a canister filter accessed from the top, but it must be a different filter that 2017-up, as there are no plastic tabs.

After reading this thread … unless th OP has a second vehicle ready to head to parts store (old filter in hand) … think I’d buy the first one from the dealer … (and snap a picture on iPhone)

After reading this thread … unless th OP has a second vehicle ready to head to parts store (old filter in hand) … think I’d buy the first one from the dealer … (and snap a picture on iPhone)

Second thought … does the Colly come with two free oil changes? If so, Id ask them to save the old filter and new box …

On my 2017 … it was AC Delco oil … but you could pay a few bucks more for M1 …

Second thought … does the Colly come with two free oil changes? If so, Id ask them to save the old filter and new box …

On my 2017 … it was AC Delco oil … but you could pay a few bucks more for M1 …

I went to Fram's website and consulted their filter application guide.

Fram reports that the 2018 GMC Canyon with a 3.6L engine uses the CH10246.

http://www.fram.com/parts-search/CH10246/?

I can get a 12 pack of the Fram filters off ebay for $33 shipped from a VERY reputable seller.

I will have to see if the cap is marked with HENGST to be sure.

Yes, the first two oil changes are on GM.

I've used a variety of filters is this engine and they all seem to work well. No need to over tighten the cap. They tend to stick on and are difficult to remove. Those engines tend to use a little oil. Keep an eye on the oil level.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
GM put a redesigned 3.6 V6 in the Colorado/Canyon beginning in 2017. And yes, it uses a different filter than the previous 3.6. It is a canister filter that is accessed from the top of the engine.
Did the first year of the newly designed truck get the 3.6 LFX V-6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back