Painting Frame

I’m planning on painting my rides, I have enough elbow grease but on the kind of paint is where I want your opinion & tips. Having them sandblasted and powder coated get out of my budget,, and spray.bike doesn’t fill my eye,,, been thinking about lacquer.
These are some pics.
DBBF53D5-396C-40BC-8181-A40B7715C569.jpeg
48BE34AD-8B5B-431A-B359-BECAB3D92C0F.jpeg
7692CE38-5D5C-4381-B0D5-27188CB55EEC.jpeg
E6034577-843B-4E66-A32A-9FD4A2239F2C.jpeg
EB2982F5-4947-473C-B5B9-335308BD0FA4.jpeg
688DE725-A326-42C2-8EB0-BC4C4631CA5A.jpeg

It’s a diamondback atroz, i don’t think anyone would do it to a Santa Cruz bike.
Sprayed with rust oleum flat enamel,,, easy to fix scratches but not durable.

Those bikes look fine as is. I wouldn't have renamed a Santa Cruz bike into Santa Clauz however. ...
That reminds me... back in the 80s a friend of mine rode his bike through Europe. Before the trip he painted it brown, stenciled some letters and renamed it "Schwinn Varsity" for theft protection.

That reminds me... back in the 80s a friend of mine rode his bike through Europe. Before the trip he painted it brown, stenciled some letters and renamed it "Schwinn Varsity" for theft protection.
Actually a 2011 varsity was stolen from me, I was completely built, those frames were made by Giant I think, decent weight!

I stripped our winter bikes down about three summers ago and had them sandblasted and powder coated.

My steel frame and both steel forks are rusting again at the brazed-on lugs. My wife's bike's aluminum frame is fine.

If I do it again I might just paint them myself with spray bombs.

I painted a bike frame once in high school. The time spend on tearing the bike down, sanding, cleaning, prepping, painting, sanding, finishing...then rebuilding. I should have bought a new bike. In high school I had more time than money...now I would just buy new.

I stripped our winter bikes down about three summers ago and had them sandblasted and powder coated.

My steel frame and both steel forks are rusting again at the brazed-on lugs. My wife's bike's aluminum frame is fine.

If I do it again I might just paint them myself with spray bombs.
What does such a thing cost?

VHT tire and wheel paint. Prep the frame *well*. Use the lightest application of primer you can get away with so the base under the color is not softened by extra paint. leave it to cure for the full week. Follow all the directions, and be sure to clear coat with the same VHT or duplicolor line of wheel paint.

enamels are too soft, but pretty.

there are now 2-part sprays available on Amazon, and may yield a harder finish. The wheel paint only comes in 3-4 colors. If you don’t want black, 2 shades of grey, or white, try a two-part rattle can from amazon.

Back