Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Go out and watch it. Lol
made a living for 30years doing it.

Originally Posted By: Vdubuk
Ask a stupid question..

Dave 123 gave you the right answer.
Some paints are formulated for very fast drying.

Answer is vague as my question so it seems..was wondering if theres a generic factor regardless of type of paint

What dries paint quickest?
Cold air,warm air..or time?

Thats meaningless in several different ways.

And you're from the UK? Letting the side down, Old Boy.

Or, more ethnically: Away an bile yer heid.

We talking house paint? If so, low humidity ranks first in my book, followed by temperate climate. Cold, high humidity may never dry, although I’ve heard of a paint anti freeze additive that allows you to paint in freezing weather.

Interesting technical reply whivh i was trying to establish..anywye ducked u sound like a right heid the ba'

Interesting technical reply whivh i was trying to establish..anywye ducked u sound like a right heid the ba'

I have my moments. Actually attempting to answer your question would perhaps be a ba heiding best.

So here goes.

First, whats wrong with it? The main breakage is the inclusion of "time".

There is no way paint can dry (or anything AT ALL can happen) without time. Asking if "time is quickest" bends the needle on the illogic-o-meter, since quickest has ABSOLUTELY NO MEANING without time.

So lets take time as a given. That leaves warm air and cold air.

Paints dry through both chemical and physical processes. Most, and probably all of these will be faster at higher temperatures, so warm air will be faster than cold air, though it may be just the temperature rather than the air that is important.

If the chemical process is an internal catalytic one, as with, say, a 2-pack epoxide, the air will have little effect.

If the chemical process is a reaction with atmospheric oxygen, as in, say, traditional linseed oil paints, air will be necessary and a breeze might help a little.

If the physical process is one of solvent evaporation as in, say, bituminous paint, or water-based acrylic emulsions, a breeze will speed the removal of the solvent.

I THINK there are some wood treatments that cure anaerobically where air would slow curing if it got to where it was happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back