¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup millet flour
½ cup ground flax meal
1/8 cup corn starch
1/4 cup pastry flour

2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp sea salt or Italian/French salt

Mix this together in a nice bowl that will hold it all and enough future liquid…..

In a separate bowl, the Juices:

1 egg (don’t like eggy pancakes)
1 cup vanilla yogurt
½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup vanilla soy milk (use this for future dilution as well)
1 TBSP French Vanilla Torani syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBSP Honey

Whip it, whip it good

Lubricant (to be added in a second):

3 TBSP EVOO – use a good olive oil or I guess you could use melted butter or some khrappy margarine or even a heart healthy one.

Pour the juices into the dry stuff, while folding it together. Add the lubricant while folding. Don’t beat it. Just combine until evenly mixed. Chances are it won’t be a pourable nice batter yet, add just a splash of the vanilla soy milk to make a nice thick batter but not too thin – thicker if you want a cake like pancake, lower viscosity if you want a thinner pancake. But there is a balance – these aren’t crepes. If the batter is too thin the finished product will be too wet as well.

Cook right away on a warm, but not blazing hot lubed griddle. The juicy side up will be reluctant to bubble, and the trapped gasses will cause a nice rise. Flip them off as necessary. Eat with homemade jam, fresh fruit or the maid. Real maple might be good too.

What's the consistency? Are they light as traditional pancakes or more dense?

Also, excuse the ignorance but what is the difference between whole wheat flour and unbleached wheat flour?

Not dense, but hearty with almost a nutty, grainy flavor. Certainly this is not a light fluffy cake, but with that much flax, some would be surprised at the lightness.

Whole wheat flour has the bran and germ intact. Wheat flour doesn't, bleached or not.

Sounds good and healthy, but I'm surprised that you would use olive oil in the mix. I would think it would impart a flavor that doesn't go well with the sweet (as opposed to savory) character of pancakes.

The extra virgin olive oils I have are pretty fruity and tasty. I have used them in white birthday cakes, breads, etc - no problem. I certainly wouldn't used a crudo oil. A lot of pancake recipes call for melted butter/margarine.

I use butter. Hey, that's a lot of ingredients for a pancake batter! Lemme see what I use:

- flour (wheat or other or mix of different kinds, depending on what I want)
- eggs
- milk
-pinch salt

I make the batter thin, because I like thin, crunchy pancakes (large, too. Think 8-12 " diameter). For an even crunchier crust I substitute a little bit of the milk with carbonated water. I fry my pancakes in a little butter and eat them sprinkled with a sugar/cinnamon mix, fresh cut fruit, or compote. I often eat them with maple syrup or with strawberries (blueberries, etc) with whipped cream. Sometimes I fill the pancakes, and roll them up. Pancakes can also be filled with savory stuff like ham, spinach and cheese. That's then the Austrian Palatschinke.

Last edited:
Oh boy, rumpot fruit makes an excellent topping or filling!
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back