Fermented pancake recipe

I call it Two night pancakes because that's how long it ferments for. Just as a caution I don't measure out all the ingredients, I just put enough where I think it works. Makes about 6 medium-large pancakes First night: 3/4 to 1-1/4 cup of milk depending on how thick you like them Baby teaspoon of active yeast (about 1/4 tsp) 1 cup of all purpose flour. Mix well and store away from any sources of heat. I recommend at least a 4 cup bowl or mixing cup to allow for growth of mix. Shake bowl/cup occasionally to prevent crust from drying out too much. Second night - continue to shake batter occasionally. Second morning: Preheat griddle to desired temp (I use 300 °F) Add one egg A small pile of sugar (guess around 1 TSBP) A healthy splash of oil (maybe 3 TBSP) Sprinkle of salt 1 tsp of baking soda Mix thoroughly (won't be any lumps) and cook immediately. Serve with your favorite toppings. I usually smash a very ripe banana and add it to the mix and then throw in a few walnuts or pecans. Enjoy!

Thanks. Sounds like something I might try. For years I've made what I consider to be pretty good waffles simply by mashing/mixing a ripe banana with an egg, then incorporating a decent store-bought waffle/pancake mix, and cooking in a waffle maker. Sometimes I'll add blueberries cut in half to the batter when it's just beginning to heat up in the waffle maker. I'm assuming your recipe would work fine by substituting soy milk for regular milk. (I'm allergic to dairy products.)

So you don't have dry crust, have some plastic wrap on top of bowl. also yogurt + pinch of baking soda could be used instead of yeast.

SVTCobra

Originally Posted by jalf
I'm assuming your recipe would work fine by substituting soy milk for regular milk. (I'm allergic to dairy products.)
Yes it should. I've made it with just water and isn't as good but still better than regular pancakes in my opinion.

Wife used to make buttermilk pancakes which are "fermented" Need real buttermilk. Awesome! But now she is "gluten free" DANG! Wife used to buy raw milk from local farms - -not pasturized garbage. Plus It doesn't spoil - -it sours. Now I'm missing the griddle cakes!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Wife used to make buttermilk pancakes which are "fermented" Need real buttermilk. Awesome! But now she is "gluten free" DANG! Wife used to buy raw milk from local farms - -not pasturized garbage. Plus It doesn't spoil - -it sours. Now I'm missing the griddle cakes!
re:gluten free almond flour + rice flour + egg

My Mom made starter pancakes many years ago as well as buttermilk pancakes. So does my Wife thumbsup Lots of starter recipes come up on a search.

SVTCobra

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] Good start to the weekend - fermented pancakes with bananas and almonds (3 of 4) with homemade maple syrup with Colombian coffee roasted in Colombia.