P0303

My son has a 2012 Hyundai Veloster that has the NA 1.6 engine. Running bad and has a cylinder 3 misfire. Change the plugs no change. Checked for spark and it has spark. So That lead me to believe that it is not getting fuel in cylinder 3. So I changed the injector and still no change. I changed the injector harness and again no change. So now I think that the ECM may be bad. Before I go down that road does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

Don

Just because it has spark it may be weak and maybe a bad coil. I'm not familiar with this model but, if it has individual coils for each cylinder like most later models I'd move that coil to another plug, clear the codes and see if the misfire follows that coil.

My son has a 2012 Hyundai Veloster that has the NA 1.6 engine. Running bad and has a cylinder 3 misfire. Change the plugs no change. Checked for spark and it has spark. So That lead me to believe that it is not getting fuel in cylinder 3. So I changed the injector and still no change. I changed the injector harness and again no change. So now I think that the ECM may be bad. Before I go down that road does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks

Don
Did you check compression on that cylinder?

maybe valves really bad gdi deposits?

need more testing.. should be able to diagnose without more parts.. might need a tool or 2.

Don

Everything has pretty much been covered but if moving the coil doesnt identify the culprit I would get a Noid light to make sure you have impulses from the injector driver circuit of the ECM.
Swapping the coils and using the Noid light is the easiest thing to do before digging deeper, eg compression, leak down, deposits, etc.

This is a set, they are sold individually everywhere.

Last edited:
So let me add to my initial post. Coils were swapped without the misfire following the coil. Compression test was done by pulling plugs and testing without a gauge. Even partial compression would have the cylinder firing somewhat. With the engine running when I pull the coil plug for cylinder three there is zero change in how the engine runs. So I am 100% dead on three. I bought the replacement computer and will hope it works out. Either way this car is moving on by next weekend. Son is buying a new car and we just want it running so it can be traded in. If the new computer doesn't fix it he will sell it as mechanics special for whatever he can get for it

Don

Everything has pretty much been covered but if moving the coil doesnt identify the culprit I would get a Noid light to make sure you have impulses from the injector driver circuit of the ECM.
Swapping the coils and using the Noid light is the easiest thing to do before digging deeper, eg compression, leak down, deposits, etc.

This is a set, they are sold individually everywhere.

Trav is 100% on target here. Given the conditions listed and inconclusive test results, I would suspect that you have a broken wire/connector in the harness feeding the cylinder #3 coil. That happened to me on a '03 Odyssey van during a 600 mile road trip in 2018. You can even get a loaner set of Noid lights free from Autozone with a refundable deposit.

Back