P0300 only the dreaded random misfire

I used this tool for the 2gr I did. It might work for you as well:

That is a rare failure for a MB engine but like anything else it can happen. If you want to see the valves closed and look at the cylinder walls an articulating borescope is your best bet. This is a cheap one but will do the job you need, there is also a $50 coupon with this bringing it down to $170, cheaper than pulling a head and finding out you possibly didn't need to. If the valve moves freely you can check the installed height and guide clearence with a dial indicator, the spec is in the service manual, if its all good you should be okay.

Hey Trav I'm all the way down to lifting the head only one small snag that I can't seem to find any info on and I'm taking a break to let my fingers rest

The pins that hold the chain guides to the head are the only thing from allowing it to lift directly up

I have watched a video or two but it clearly shows those pins in at one point the out and once again back in ...... do they thread into the head or are they pressed??

20220805_114558.jpg

Hey Trav I'm all the way down to lifting the head only one small snag that I can't seem to find any info on and I'm taking a break to let my fingers rest

The pins that hold the chain guides to the head are the only thing from allowing it to lift directly up

I have watched a video or two but it clearly shows those pins in at one point the out and once again back in ...... do they thread into the head or are they pressed??

For $63/day or $168/week, you can get the service info.

From what I can tell the guide on the tension side (left in pic)can stay on its pin and be dropped on carefuly to its resting place on install but the right hand side will have to stay in block but is keeping the head from coming out

So I was able to get the guide pins out no prob by building my own version of the one made in China out of some plate steel and washer in order to not smash the chain guides no big deal

Next snag was there were 3 broke off exhaust studs I got 2 out with the usual method of very small drill bits up to the easy out size and got them out zero damage .........but of course the worst one (had been snapped of for quite some time and was rusty ) I broke off the easy out i was beyond passed off

A friend I know has a Plunge EDM machine and says it will come out with relative ease and minimal risk of damage otherwise that's the 50% point of going back together all parts gaskets and just one item missing

Here is my next question for Trav and Critic

Would you go with one of these for the valve coverv/cam holder assembly??

ELRING Dirko black
Mahle JV8/ Victor reinz bead n seal
Or something more common like Ultra Black ?

Thanks for the thoughts and the help so far

Some new toys to add to the collective....should anyone need to borrow the cam tool I got one for the M270
20220820_203843.jpg
20220820_204136.jpg

BTW the valve checked out perfect i washed everything up in the large ultrasonic I have

The intake valves were surprisingly bad

!! It's all back together and running perfect with about 65 miles on it as of this posting

The valve was not bent but as discussed in this thread I lifted the head to see if any damage was done

The amount of carbon buildup on the intake valves was astonishing ..... never seen anything that dirt firsthand on a vehicle I have owned

I ultrasonic cleaned the head and all the valves as well as the PCV ,intake manifold and other hard parts it looks like near new under the hood!

It's in the garage draining the oil now overnight and getting a fresh Euro 5w40 and filter in the morning and a UOA in 3k to see if anything is out norm levels

Thanks to all that helped I do really appreciate it

Trav and the Critic thank you for your time

Mike

Back