Oversized Filters for 06 Tacoma 1GR-FE V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Mobil 1 M1-209 filters on my 2006 Tacoma with 1GR-FE 4.0 V6 as they are oversized equivilent of the m1-102 that is spec'd for the engine.

I run 10k miles between changes (Mobil 1 EP 5W-30), is there a better filter I could be using?

Thanks.

Purolator Synthetic PSL20195
K&N HP-2009
Bosch D+ D3422

None are better per say, though if you can find them cheaper than the M1 youre using, go with it

Last edited:
I have been running the oversized Purolator Pureone PL20195 on my 4Runner. Here's a list of some of the stock and oversized filters that work with the 1GR-FE T4R.org

Cost for the filter was the same regardless of which size I chose and there is plenty of clearance in my engine bay. The Pureone filters are a top-notch filter at a very reasonable price and I continue to see great results on everything I use them on.

I run the PureOne PL20195 on my 2005 Tacoma V6. It's a nice sized filter - has 168 sq-in of media area (cut open and measured).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I run the PureOne PL20195 on my 2005 Tacoma V6. It's a nice sized filter - has 168 sq-in of media area (cut open and measured).

I have recommended that very same change to my buddy with his v-6 Tacoma.

Likely will never see true tangible benefit from the change (in terms of wear reduction), but it cannot hurt, either. The benefit for him is stock consolidation in his garage; fewer different filters to hang onto.

No problem going 10k miles on that oil & filter combo, methinks.

FWIW, here's a list of cross-referenced filters to the M1-209:
Purolator (P)L20195
Fram / STP 3005
Bosch 3422
Motorcraft FL400S
AC Delco PF56
Wix / NAPA 51516
Mann ML1005

And xref for the original size filter (same as what my Mazda 5 takes):
Purolator (P)L10241
Fram / STP 3614
Motorcraft FL910S
Bosch 3330
Mobil 1 M1-102
K&N HP-1002
AC Delco PF53
Wix / NAPA 51348
Mann ML1003

Thanks for all the responses and information.

What about the Bosch Distance Plus D3422? How does that compare to the M1-209 that I have been using for 10k changes?

I have 300k miles on this engine, it is in great shape, and I want to run it to 400k+ with 10k drains, so I am wanting to select the best reasonable choice for filter.

Originally Posted By: qnyla
Thanks for all the responses and information.

What about the Bosch Distance Plus D3422? How does that compare to the M1-209 that I have been using for 10k changes?

I have 300k miles on this engine, it is in great shape, and I want to run it to 400k+ with 10k drains, so I am wanting to select the best reasonable choice for filter.

Bosch D+ is about 50cents more at AAP.\
Though at WM here its roughly 11.99$

M1 is a Champ/Fram Product
D+ is a Purolator/Bosch Product

Use either on sale TBCH
D+ and P1 Cut Open

M1 Cut Open

Or go with the 9.99$ New Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter.
If you have a Pepeboys around its like 30$ and some change for RP and RP Filter, not a bad deal either

Last edited:
If you have room a PH8A filter would have the correct thread, gasket, and relief pressure. That would be a PL30001. The can has a bigger diameter, so it may not work for you.

I'm not sure if there is room for the larger diameter; some model years are different I believe.

I know that the large FL1A filters will not fit on my buddy's Tacoma because of the nice drain-pan type set up they have on the top of the engine; allows oil to spill out and run down a nice catch-tube. But it's too small in diameter to accomdate the FL1A. However, the FL-400 will fit (Wix 51516, Pur 20195, etc). They are "taller" than the OEM but not any wider at the base.

If the OP does not have that circular catch drain set up, perhaps the larger filter would fit.

Last edited:
If it takes a PH3614 I believe it will also take the slightly bigger Motorcraft FL-400s. A LOT of filter features for very little money.

Originally Posted By: qnyla

Dang ... that's on a 2006 (per your signature)? Wow, you drive the holy crud out of that thing.
shocked.gif
My 2005 Tacoma V6 only has 33K miles on it ... but it's one of 3 vehicles so doesn't get full time driving.

I am happy with the Mobil 1 M1-209 as an oversize filter, but was looking for an even better oversize with pure synthetic media that might do a bit better job. Not looking to get a cheaper filter, but a better filter for 10k-15k drains.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Dang ... that's on a 2006 (per your signature)? Wow, you drive the holy crud out of that thing.
shocked.gif
My 2005 Tacoma V6 only has 33K miles on it ... but it's one of 3 vehicles so doesn't get full time driving.

Yes, I drive the truck a LOT. I have just submitted a sample for a UOA and am waiting for the results.

Welcome!

It was just barely oversized, so perhaps an extra cup of oil. I can't remember if I was able to add 6 and keep it below the full line on the dipstick or not. Perhaps add 5 3/4, drive it, let it sit overnight, and add the rest if it's still below the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back