Oversize vs Better Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will an oversize filter with normal media perform as well or better than a smaller filter with better media? For example the larger Purolator 24458 versus their small Pureone 14459.

TIA...bgin

slalom44,
Ok, which would you say makes better sense in this scenerio: I currently have a Mobil 1 filter and M1 oil in my car now, but I bought an oversized AC Delco for my next oil change which will be with GC. So, which would be better with the GC, the bigger Delco or the regular sized M1?

lol.gif

I thought about that after I posted it
pat.gif
. I think what I'll do is exchange the filter with another M1 at AZ, since I still have the receipt. It pays to be a packrat
lol.gif

A filter with better filter media will filter better than a filter with "normal" media when it is filtering. An oversized filter will allow less oil to bypass the media, therefore the question you are really asking is, "Is the wear greater or less on a smaller filter with better media"

The media doesn't change the oil pressure to the engine, so the real question is how dirty is the oil that ends up going through the bypass valve. My opinion: probably not that bad, since the oil filters through the media most of the time.

The only quantitative study I've seen on particulate quantity vs. filter media was on a JeepsUnlimited forum. It concluded that for one test (not exactly statistically significant) a Fram filter did a better job than Pure-One, but not as good as Napa Gold and the best of the bunch was Mobil 1. Since Pure-One and Mobil 1 are considered pretty restrictive filters, one cannot reach a conclusion.

Personally, I'd go with the better filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back