Oversize filter possible for Scion xB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend is going to do some cleaning in this 2005 engine with 155k miles. Engine starting to use oil and suffers from some longer oil changes, most likely. Any chance an FL400S would fit? The thimble-sized OE oil filter looks kind of small.

I think the land is pretty small for the filter, as well as block clearance; you can use a PL14477, rather than a PL14476; it is about 1/2" longer, same price. I don't worry much about using a OTC filter for 10K miles given the little amount of air passing thru the engine. YMMV when doing a cleaning run however.

FWIW, I started to use oil @ about 160K in my !echo!, the consumption varies widely depending on the oil I use.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Scion xA (1NZFE engine)and presently have a Royal Purple 20-400 on it. I also have an Amsoil Eo-34 lined up for it. I have had no problems with fitment. The same size in other brands:

Motorcraft FL-400-S (The one you asked about)
Mobil 1 M1-209
K&N HP-2009
Purolator PureOne PL20195
Bosch Distance Plus Oil Filter D3422

You can use the Mobil 1 M1-209 filter (or other manufacturer's equivalent - Purolator PureOne PL20195) on the Scion xB (same filter used on the 2006 Corolla engines, among others. Using this size filter increases the volume of oil in the sump by 0.27 quart (8.64 oz) over the M1-103 (or other manufacturer's equivalent - Purolator PureOne 14476), and increases your filter surface area significantly (almost double, although I am not exactly sure of the sq. in. difference). The O.D. of the filter gasket is a bit larger than the M1-103 (Purolator PureOne 14476 / 14477), but still fits on the mating surface well enough to prevent leaks. I am not making this statement based on anything I have been told, but instead on what I am actually doing right now on my 2006 Toyota Corolla (1zzfe) for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back